Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Why do we live?

Hello,

im not feeling well at the moment and I wonder, why do we live? My care team says live in the moment. But I look around and the moments don’t make sense. It’s a constant hedgehog day. My life is therapy, housework and ‘pleasurable activities’, all carefully planned and I have a tick list for self care every day. I don’t think this has changed from before I lost my job, but I didn’t see the gloom in this? Perhaps I never had time. What makes you want to continue this journey?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why do we live?

@Former-Member time on hands can lead to lots of thinking. I question things when I stick my head up briefly every now and again. I don’t think there is a golden path or a perfect life or that society is kind or fair. I guess it’s about trying to find something within yourself that brings comfort and perhaps enjoyment and leaves you open to not questioning things in a less positive way
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @TAB I feel like it doesn’t matter anymore what I do or try. No doc, pill or therapy can make a difference. I don’t see people getting better. I’m stuck in a viscous cycle of what I see as self pity, no matter what the professionals tell me. I should have never talked, never opened the multitude of cans of worms and just pushed through, I survived the trauma, functioned a long time and now I’m fucked in the head. I don’t think I’ll post here again. Take care my friend x

I guess that’s what you were protecting yourself from @Former-Member
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member,

A few weeks ago I too was questioning whether it is worth to keep going. And sadly at the time whether it be conscious or subconsciously I decided that it wasn't.

It has taken a bit too get to where I am in the last few weeks while I healed and I know I'm lucky my injury was not worse but I have realised that part of my problem has been living in my trauma. I was abused badly as a child and as I got older all I saw myself was as broken. I haven't realised that to have made it through so much actually makes me stronger than what others expect. 

I know that after seeing my son's face when I did what I did that it is something I will never put him through again. 

Anyway you said you have been through trauma, believe me I understand how hard it is to get past it and live in the presant rather than the past. I have only just begun this journey of living in the now and I know that I have more dark days ahead but I also know that to move forward you need to step out of yesterdays shadow.

If what you are doing now doesn't make you happy then maybe it is to me to change routine find something that is not just pleasurable in the moment but brings you joy outside of the experience.

My self care activities stopped working for me because they started to feel like a chore. Now I do different things and one of my favourite is I make puppets and soft toys some I give to family the rest I take into childrens wards at hospitals it brings me joy to see them so happy a makes me feel good about myself

That’s good to hear @Former-Member . Just acknowledging your post even if can’t directly relate. Thanks for sharing and sorry if butting in. Yes I’ve known people in the same boat. Sorta remembering them through your post and well done, you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance