Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Need tips for travelling anxiety & coping in a different place

Hi All,

I can't remember when I just had a smooth nice day. I haven't been able to find a routine since my discharge a few weeks ago. And now I'm supposed to travel. Inside Australia. It's just been so long since I got on a plane and went somewhere else and spent time with other people. Friends, but they haven't seen me in 2 years and I've been struggling heaps since then.

What are your tips for travelling please? I would really appreciate ideas of how I will be able to cope. I used to travel all the time, but feel pretty sick and anxious about it now. And I've isolated for a long time and find it freightening to be "stuck" with other people.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. I know I can't cancel this trip, as much as I would like to 😞

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Need tips for travelling anxiety & coping in a different place

Hi @Former-Member 

I travel around Eastern Australia a couple of times a year - starting in 2015 - it was difficult at first - I have back problems and long legs - travelling in economy didn't work for me so I travel business class now and that works better but I understan if you can't do this

Okay - tips

Get there early - you can book your baggage before you reach the desk - just ask someone how - most people can do this but the officials love it - they want things to move more swiftly too

Avoid the queues - I pay to keep out of them but sometimes it's impossible - I hope you have someone to hold your place - it's a good reason to get there early

Perhaps you can take a red-eye - a night flight - I did this once and the plane was nearly empty and it was quiet at the airport and in the plane and when I got off

Drive to the airport if you can and leave your car in parking there - or get a taxi - the shuttle can be agonising if you are stressed

Keep your hand luggage light - the less bother with it the better - in fact the less you take with you is better - 

Go and see your doctor about some medication for the flight - air sickness pills are magical - and they might help with the stress - will help with the stress

Let someone at Flight Centre or the airport know you have stress about the flight - lots of people do but having someone on your side can only help

Whatever your fears air travel is the safest way to travel - and people yeah - the big one

Try and ignore them - they are all hassled too - getting from A to B with all the other folk can be pressing, harrassing, tiring and scary - and then

There's Security - if you have your computer you need to take it out of your bag before hand - there are trays to put it in - and your phone, wallet and anything in your pockets that might be metalic - I found my lens cleaners triggered the alarm - sort your stuff and leave things like that in your main luggage

That's a lot - I know it must be so much harder having been isolated for a long time and you have been through so much - 

So leave early - take little and see your doctor

And enjoy yourself when you get there - safe trip

Dec

And - big one - keep your medication in your hand luggage - and get a letter from your doctor about it in case the authorities ask - which isn't likely to happen but the letter can be calming

Thank you so much @Owlunar 

I’ve already made some changes for my luggage. I can’t take a letter from my doctor anymore, but gather that the scripts should be enough. 

Move also packed a lot of comfort things in my hand luggage so I’ve got things to comfort me and music and earplugs. 

I still can’t believe I’m supposed to be doing this 😢

Hey there @Former-Member

I know how you feel. I went on an overseas trip last year to the US and EU and before that I hadn't been on a trip on my own - the closest I got was an overnight trip to Melbourne.

I know how you feel. I really do. In fact right now I do because I'm off to a conference very soon today and I feel anxious about it. But I think this is a normal response both of us have to tasks given our anxiety and such.

There are two things that are good though - first you are travelling domestically so this means you still have access to all of the facilities you need etc like hospitals and such. So you don't need insurance.

The other thing that sticks out to me is that you are seeing friends.

I see that you haven't seen these people for 2 years and that is understandable that you'd be feeling anxious about that - particularly with the fact that you have isolated for a long time. This was me last year before going OS.

Biggest thing to remember is that it's mainly in your head. Also, break down what you need to do to get to where you are going.

I remember walking in NYC on the day before I was meant to arrive there (I was staying out side the city with my friend at his family's home). It was cold and noisy. I was overly anxious and I had to plug my earphones in to block out the noise. I remember sitting in central park eating a muesli bar and feeling like I was in the wrong spot etc. But the thing is I did do it. I still managed the whole trip.

I can guarantee you that it's NOWHERE near as bad as what your mind will make out. That's for sure my friend.

If you need to chat or need to vent then by all means tag me because I'll be going through a bit of anxiety this evening too so I know exactly how you'll feel.

Scripts are enough yes. Plus, the technology they have detects illicit things so your medications won't be an issue. I went through US customs and they picked up my ipad that i forgot about before they picked up medications lol. I even had to take my shoes off because they are super strict.

Whereabouts are you headed off to? If you don't want to answer that's perfectly fine btw.

But try not to over do it mate. You'll surprise yourself i think! 🙂

Thanks @Former-Member 

Yes - have your comfort stuff with you and take some chewing gum as well - this not only relieves tension it can stop your ears from popping with the change of altitude

The letter from a doctor might apply more to me because of the nature of my medication but I have never been asked for mine - just having it helps

Yes - you are doing this and you will be okay - it will not last forever - but I understand travelling with lots of other people jostling around an yakking can be troublesome

But one good thing - with the noise of the engines and the sound of the air passing over the fusilage it is really hard to hear what people are saying so it's possible to close yourself off into your own little world with your earplugs and music

All the best - I will be interested to hear how it all goes

Dec

@Owlunar has made some pretty cool suggestions here too!

I think you'll do well 🙂

We are here in forumland for you

hi @Former-Member

i get anxiety when i travel and stya awy from home. ive read the tips given already and they are pretty good. one thing that helps me is to take a comfort item or 2 so that when your overwhelmed you can have that item with you. For example i take my favourite blanket or pillow for more hotel and sleeping time but then i wear my ring. its my favourite one and reminds me of home as well and can keep it on me all the time.

maybe thatll work for you too.

thanks so much @outlander @Flying_Hams @Owlunar  for all the tips and insights! I still feel wobbly but I am so glad to know I’m not alone! I’ve done some repackaging and won’t forget my teddy in the morning, I don’t care what they think if they open my hand luggage! I will keep you posted.

im off to Darwin on an early morning flight, so driving to the airport and leaving the car there. Ill keep in touch and it’s good to be able to share with you. 

good luck @Former-Member hopefully your anxiety wont be to overwhelming and youll be able to enjoy yourself too

I'm glad you're taking Teddy @Former-Member  - that's a powerful comfort device and good too

I would have taken my old Companion Cat but she would not have been easy to conceal - and loud meows would have attracted attention - ha ha

But they are not likely to look in your bag if no signal sounds - which is why a lot of metallic things need to go in your baggage and you take anything that might trigger the alarm in security

Darwin seems popular atm - i might have go go there myself when I travel north next

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance