Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

On the self care front I have made a councilling appointment for next week for myself.

While I am doing ok (relatively) at the moment I fear that as things progress with mum in law that I will 'fall in a heap' and not be able to support darling and boys and dad inlaw. 

This is actually weighing on me a bit atm so trying to get some supports in place for me in advance.  

I am hoping that this will be all unnecessary but reality is that the future is not overly bright at the moment. 

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Woo hoo aboit your bike ride @Determined. The other matter - yep - circle of life stuff - never easy. Good idea to get supports in place.

As I have mentioned often before I don't want to sound like I am moaning or feeling hard done by. Just needing to express some emotions to get them out. Trying to be proactive atm to keep myself afloat. 

@Determined

Keep talking Bro, as you give name to these emotions, you know how to tackle management of them.

*Expressed emotions about grief and loss, may be difficult for some to read.

So this is part question part thinking out loud.

And this is also why I am working to getting supports in place for myself in preperation for a potential crisis. Hope this is not too long or scattered but appreciate any thoughts. 

So often I am told (mostly by health professionals) and I am sure most of us here have possibly heard it at some point... that I am not responsible for the wellbeing of my family and I need to look after me first.

While I understand the self care concept and the need to look after myself (logically speaking) what concerns me is that I cant just sit idly by watching my family fall apart just because I am having a bad day.

But at the same time there will be times that I will need the opportunity to take time out to grieve or just regroup.

I am starting to recognize that possibly immersing myself in the care of others is a way of avoiding addressing my own emotions. This is not healthy or sustainable. 

So I guess the real question is (for me) is it even possible to find a balance or do I just need to accept the support of others outside our immediate family in the event of a crisis to allow emotional healing for myself. 

These thoughts are based on contemplating my ability to hold it (myself) together over the next 12 months should a worst case scenario eventuate 🙁

And processing this now so I am emotionally and practically prepared should things progress the way I fear they may.

@Determined, as you might imagine, we've also got a few "worst case scenarios" that lurk in our mental peripheral vision.

On occasions they come to front and centre. I try to hold a tension between looking at these potentialities squarely enough that if or when they come about, I'm not totally blindsided; and reminding myself that these are possibilities, not present realities, and I cannot deal with them unless/until they come.

Emotional and practical support for carers of people with MI can be thin on the ground. There's a limit to how much we can talk about with friends and family without breaching our loved one's privacy. So yes, get as much care around yourself and your family as you can.

Most of our family are seeing psychologists one way or another, and boy we need it. We try to enourage our other "kids" (teens and adults...) into things which will support them emotionally. Time with friends, opportunities to have fun and build skills, special events etc.

Self care... that's a harder thing to achieve. I haven't yet reconnected with the local region's carer support network- ironically, because my overloaded brain keeps forgetting to do so. I do still intend to do so, and would encourage you to do likewise. If you don't already have contact details, this link probably covers your region. https://www.mymentalhealth.org.au/page/consumer-and-carer/carer-and-family-support/

"Not responsible for the wellbeing of my family..." oooh, that could be argued both ways. It is a bit of an "oxygen masks" situation. That thing in the airline pre-flight presentation where they point out that if you don't first make sure your own brain is getting enough oxygen, you won't be in a position to make sure the child sitting next to you is OK. It's easy to take on too much responsibility for others, at the risk of reaching collapsing point yourself. But I couldn't imagine stepping back to such a degree that another family member went into meltdown due to lack of support. Seriously, what good would that do? A family is interdependant on each other for their wellbeing, so looking after them is part of looking after myself.

Good times together provide a bit of a bolster against the hard times that keep hitting like king waves. So do achievements, and solo experiences. Finding time for these things can be hard, but they have to happen. Supportive friends and family, supportive groups (mine include church, this forum, town garden club in a different way) all provide another kind of backstop.

I'm an independant kind of person, and am more comfortable giving help to others than accepting it for myself, but in a worst case situation, that might have to go out the window for a time. Have been there before... I had major neurosurgery when our youngest was a baby, and I had to swallow my pride so many times and accept support while I recovered. (Am very glad that at least I went home from hospital walking more or less independantly, but there were lots of other hurdles to get over too.) We also had to accept support after our house flooded. Living in friends' houses, having other friends help us clean up. Financially we usually do fairly well at making end meet, but we accepted an offer from Anglicare to cover back-to-school expenses post flood, because with so much else happening, it was easier to be able to walk in and buy everything new at full price instead of taking the extra time needed to bargain hunt, chase down second hand textbooks etc.

When the crisis is an ongoing situation rather than a big and easily defined event, it's much harder to know when you need to call in extra support. I know I probably err on the side of leaving it a bit late rather than asking too early or too often. With the kind of things you've got happening at the moment, your time is probably now.

Thanks @Smc 

That all kind of fits into the way my thoughts are progressing. First step is seeing a councillor next week.

A bit constrained about who I can talk to in real life due to things mum in law has told me in confidence about her prognosis. 

Darling is starting to piece things together but it is so hard withholding things from her. 

Understand you have similar hurdles at the moment so appreciate you taking the time to answer. 

Hey, sharing the load helps both ways. As @Faith-and-Hope famously said, "walking each other home".

You got it @Smc @Determined ..... 👍💕

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance