Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

unknownlady
New Contributor

bipolar mother in law

I live with my bipolar mother in law. She had trauma In her life. I'm really angry with my decision i made to live with her. And now my husband and i feel we can't leave her. She gossips about me in ger language right in front of ne she thinks i dont understand she puts me down she goes in my room and steals ny stuff. She's in psychotic mode for the past month, and I work from home, she makes my job miserable, and I hate my job now, anything she says or does I hate she puts me off everything I'm just sick if everything. I used to be a really positive person now I have even waking up in the mornings. Just really miserable.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: bipolar mother in law

Hi unknownlady. You said MIL gossips in her own language. Can I ask if she's of foreign extraction? Why are you living with her? I think perhaps you should make some decisions concerning you and hubby before she comes between you. Whose idea was it to move in with her? Unfortunately, MIL's and DIL's clash with regular monotony, MIL feels DIL is wrong for her son. Son is right in the middle, he's damned if he sides against her, damned if he sides with her. Try and talk to her Dr, ask him if she could be placed somewhere where she's with her own age group. You may have to put up with more tantrums if her Dr agrees to place her, but I would rather do that, than live in such an impossible situation. If you continue, I'm worried about the strain on you and hubby. I realize she's his mum and blood is thicker etc, but he married you, you should come first.

Hi @unknownlady, welcome to the Forums.  That sounds like a terrible situation for you.  One with no escape if you live and work in the same house as your mother-in-law.  It doesn't sound at all sustainable if you're now starting to hate work.

Can you tell us a little more about why you and your husband feel as if you can't leave her?  Is he sympathetic in terms of how this is affecting you?  If your own mental health is starting to be affected, which is what you're describing, would he be open to revisiting this decision? 

Sorry for all the questions but we may be able to help more if we understand more about the situation you're in.  Glad you found us 🙂

Hi @unknownlady,

Just checking in to see how you're doing? Has much changed in the home front?

CherryBomb

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance