Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

syntaxerror
Casual Contributor

i'm really really tired

hello. i'm back here again, i really just wanted to open up because i have no one else to tell this to. we've started semestral break and i've been cooped up in my home for a few days now, and when i don't have anything to do i gradually get sad and sometimes anxious cause now i have too much time with my thoughts. i'm only ok when there's school cause i have something to focus on but now since it's break it's getting hard to forget about intrusive thoughts. some nights i feel like i'm slowly becoming deranged.

even if it gets serious i have no option to get help, my tuition fee is already so expensive and we can't afford to get a psychiatrist anymore especially medication like i used to.

that's all. i just wanted to let it out. thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: i'm really really tired

Hi @syntaxerror, sorry you are having a hard time of things. Hoping that things improve for you soon.

Just wanted to mention to you that it is possible to find private psychiatrists who 'bulk bill'. This means they waive the 'gap fee' between the full cost of their sessions with you and the Medicare rebate. In this situation, there will be no expense to you. This is especially possible in the case of being on any kind of Centrelink payment, such as might be the case when studying.

I have been treated by psychiatrists for almost 30 years and have always found ones who were willing to 'bulk bill' for me. I wouldn't have been able to access psychiatric treatment without them doing this, due to my low income status.

How I found my current psychiatrist, was by 'Googling' psychiatrists in my local area, and then doing a ring-around on the phone to find out if any were willing to bulk bill me. I then did as much research on them as I could on the internet and chose which one to try. At that point, I went to my GP and asked for a referral to that specific psychiatrist. I have never had a problem with a GP referring me to a psychiatrist of my own choice when I asked for this. I am fortunate that this process has led me to a wonderful psychiatrist, who has been treating me now for three years.

Similarly, with a Centrelink 'health care card', the cost of medications is relatively small.

Not sure if any of this applies to your situation, but thought I might mention it in case you find the information helpful.

Kind wishes, Maz

Re: i'm really really tired

@syntaxerror, ah, I see. Yes, the information on this site is specific to Australia. Glad you have been able to get out on the page some of your difficulties. That helps me too in many cases. Wishing you the best, wherever you may be.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance