Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sharonm
Senior Contributor

16 Year Old - Bipolar Spectrum

I have spent some time reading through the forum and realise what I am going through is not nearly as challenging as what so many other carers are facing, so thank you to everyone who shares their story.

I thought I would share my story in case it may help or someone in a similar situation may have some advice to offer.

Earlier this year my gorgeous, kind, loving teenage son changed to an aggressive, manic, obsessive person. It started with a few sparks but really escalated one day when he swore at me and called me names before going to see his father.

I will call my son C rather than "my son" every time.

C has never spent time with his father since our separation over 3 years ago. His dad pretty much left us and went into a private hospital to assist with what was called a "mood disorder" and gambling addiction. He has spent most of the past three years couch surfing. He would see C sporodically for a few hours at a time but often not for months at a time, eventually being diagnosed with bipolar (but I am sure there are other things in there too).

So C goes to see his dad for two hours and doesn't come home for a week. He blocked my calls, blocked any connection via social media and basically shut me out of his life. Extremely out of character and very scary. Once he came home he was aggressive and physically intimidating but never touched me...although I do have many walls with holes punched or kicked in them. It ended with a night with a total breakdown with threats of suicide and we ended up in the children's hospital with a psychitrist called in. She diagnosed a panic attack despite my questions about biopolar and I went to the GP for a referral to a private psychologist.

Suicidal ideation continued and one day the school psychologist (who I would not have been able to navigate through all this without) called me to say C had expressed suicidal tendancies at school. We eventually agreed that a psychiatrist was needed and luckily I managed to get into a great one who initially diagnosed C with depression and severe anxiety (he already had an anxiety diagnosis at 12) and put him on an antidepressant. That just made C more aggressive and at our next visit he was finally diagnosed with Bipolar spectrum and put on an epilepsy medication that is also for bipolar. That was the differentiator. He calmed right down and has only had one aggressive outburst since we got the dosage right. I have read everything I can get my hands on and C continues to see his psychologist fortnightly.

I have now moved him from his school to a tech/trade focused school as the pressure was just too much in a normal school setting (he also has ADHD) and this has also been the right move for him. he is a different boy and while I see signs of the bipolar and know we still have many challenges ahead I am glad for the early diagnosis and intervention.

The hard part for me is the "grief" for want of a better word. Knowing that my son has to live with this for the rest of his life and challenges he will face. Not knowing what that looks like. Will he turn to drugs and alcohol or gambling as his father did. Will he be a good honest person or a compulsive liar? Most of my fears are that he will turn out like his dad (a whole other story!!). I started seeing a psycholgist myself to help me with strategies on how to deal with all this and she pointed me toward these forums and I am so glad that she did. MI is not something the majority of people understand or want to. I have been told by many family and friends that I am just too soft on C. He knows what he is doing. He is choosing to act this way and I need to do everything different. I am lucky to also have some amazing and supportive friends but it isn't a nice feeling to know people think that I have failed as a parent.

Thank you for listening to my story. It definitely helps to get it out in a supportive environment. I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice or who has a similar story to tell.

xx

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 16 Year Old - Bipolar Spectrum

Hello @Sharonm

Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for sharing a bit about your situtation.

Please don't feel your situation is any less than others on here. We're all the same boat. At the end of the day, we all care for someone affected by mental illness, or we are affected by mental illness. 

I'm glad that you're getting support. There a few people on here that you might like to connect with who are also carers. @patientpatient and @Grasshopper3 have written in this thread about caring for their sons. I also believe @Former-Member cares for her son (sorry if I got this wrong mohill!). Perhaps they can add some advice here. 

I think many carers can relate to grief, and grieving what could have been. @janis wrote this thread about her experience of grief as a carers, and @Former-Member shared this resource here, which you might find interesting. 

Please take care of yourself, and surround yourself with people that nurture you. Being a parent isn't easy, and parenting a teen with a mental illness certainly doesn't make it easier. It sounds like you are doing all you can. The idea of choice is an interesting one. I don't think peope choose to be unwell - mental ilness is not a choice, but people can choose how to respond to it. That said, it's extremely challenging to learn how to respond things when you're feeling really down or manic, and it takes time to learn these things. 

Go easy on yourself - many people don't get what MI is like. 

@Sharonm

so sorry you have to go through this. I'm wishing you courage, determination, faith, hope and love.

love being the most important one.

I hope he pulls through, if not, we are here for you, let us know how you are saling...

take care of you

Heart

Hi @Sharonm,

I just wanted to touch base with you to see how you and your son are going since your last post?

CherryBomb

Thanks Cherrybomb. Good timing as not a great start to the day. Meds were forgotten yesterday (Sunday's are the hardest day due to no routine) and this morning I have a very surly, angry young man on my hands.

The hardest part I find is that I am blamed for everything when these moods start. His favourite line is "it's all about you" normally said to me at times when I am doing something for him. Today I let him sleep in and drove him to school and packed his lunch but got an earful for not letting him play his music in the car - then a text from him when at school that I didn't pack him enough lunch.... Part of me wonders what is just bad teenage attitude and what is bipolar and how hard to disapline etc. He was the most lovely considerate child who would never have been rude to me...it breaks my heart that he can be so rude and thoughtless.

Maybe I just do too much for him and he thinks it is his right. I did the same for my ex....always trying to make life easier and it never improved anything...maybe I make myself into a doormat.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Sharonm
I don't have children but the working diagnosis for my husband is BPii

This website might be helpful to you.

http://www.bphope.com

Thank you @Former-Member

@Sharonm

There are support services for you as a carer as well as for C.  Apart from the info here on SANE, Carers Australia specifically help carers, depending on where you are in Australia Wellways, MI Fellowship, GROW amongst others also provide support.  If you don't mind telling me your rough location I can send you some links through.  Some of these services provide opportunity for you to connect with others in a similar situation to you.

Darcy

Thanks @Former-Member - I am in Sydney North

@Sharonm

Carers NSW - https://www.carersnsw.org.au/

Northern Sydney Local Health District - http://www.nslhd.health.nsw.gov.au/services/carer

Mental Health Carers - http://www.arafmi.org/about-us/our-services/

Grow (not sure if Carer group in NSW) https://www.grow.org.au/carer-program/

Wellways - https://www.wellways.org/

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance