Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Attahua
Senior Contributor

Anyone else have a partner living with schizo effective disorder?

Hi, I have already posted on here a few times about various issues but now my only question is are there many others on here who have partners with schizo effective disorder?? Am only asking as it can be such a roller coaster of a lifestyle and of course when he becomes unwell then it can also be quite confronting. I find the 'normal' relatively calm times Aldo quite difficult from time to time......like this past week he has just up and quit his job and is moving away to do what he has always dreamed of doing and that is to go opal mining!!!! He will still return home fortnightly or so and admittedly his casual job has not had a lot of work lately but to me although he had talked about it a lot over the years it seemed like overnight he decided to just do it!! I feel a little annoyed because I have a full time job which pays the mortgages etc and I am in dire need of a 'break' too which is also what he says he needs!!!! When he has said that I just scream in my head....'a break from what??!!' I think I sound selfish and very unsupportive but I think everyone has a breaking point and added to the stress of his news I also have two elderly grandparents who have both been hospitalised in the past two weeks and a 15year old daughter (need I say more??!!?!!) work pressures are increasing (I teach 5 year olds) and the way I feel ATM I think one more tiny incident and I may very we'll go down like a game of jenga!!! How do other people cope and when their partner's are not acutely unwell do they work etc ????

1 REPLY 1

Re: Anyone else have a partner living with schizo effective disorder?

Hi @Attahua 

I was going to point you in the direction of this discussion, but I realised you have already posted in there 🙂
I know one of our long term members @Daisy also has a partner who has been diagnoised with schizoeffective disorder - Daisy, do you have any tips for Attahua?

Attahua, your support and encouragement to others has been so wonderful. You're a great addition to the Forums. I hope you continue to visit the community.

I'm not sure if you saw, but we are running Topic Tuesday tomorrow night at 7pm AEDT here . I was hoping you could join the conversation and offer your thoughts and encouragement.

I hope others jump into this discussion and offer you the encouragement and support you have shown the rest of the community 🙂

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance