Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

squeakinghiccup
New Contributor

My eight year story.

I've had an interesting experience with depression and anxiety. I think it first appeared when I was thirteen, co-enciding with puberty and a rather unpleasant discovery from my childhood.

I'll be forward with this. As a young child I was sexually assaulted on numerous occasions. At first it was the son of my babysitter when I was too young. Then it was my next door neighbour who'd lure me to the section of chicken wire fencing off his place from mine. I wasn't old enough to know better, so I went with it. It was like a game at the time, and the memory always stuck with me - though when you grow up not realising what sexual assault is, you tend to think that it's something everyone goes through.
Fastforward to 2013, and I was in year seven at highschool, sitting in stifling heat trudging through a rather boring humanities class where we were discussing our rights. I'm not sure how, but the innocent comment of "you have the right not to be touched in a way you don't like" suddenly clicked with that memory of my nextdoor neighbour standing behind the chicken wire. 
I felt sick. Then anxious. Then utterly miserable. 
For the rest of that schoolday no one could get a propper sentence out of me. For years after that, I self harmed and occasionally attempted to act on suicidal thoughts. 
It took me far too long to open up about my depression, and I was roughly nineteen before I finally saw a councellor to address the issues my experience had raised (I had attended counselling as a child but I merely saw it as a play date; I'd play with the Power Ranger figurines constantly).
I was put on antidepressants, and things finally started to settle. I began feeling more like a human being should, rather than just some dark scribble on a colourful picture.

On a less horrific note, during puberty I always had trouble with period regularity. Either it'd be short and light, heavy and long, or it simply wouldn't show up for months at a time (my record is 11 months). I guess I always figured something would come of it, that perhaps I was infertile as a result.
Sure enough, earlier this year I was refferred by my doctor to get an ultrasound of my ovaries. As I lay there with an unglorified probe in a condom shoved up my hoohah, I could see on the screen that it looked like my ovaries were more similar to dalmatians than the regular apperance of a healthy ovary, what with all the spots. Usually, healthy ovaries should have few to no cysts. Apparently my body decided to 'go hard or go home', as I had 40 and 32 on both my ovaries.
Being diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) answered a lot of questions; acne, weight, fatigue, and funnily enough, depression.

A few months later and I'm the happiest I've ever been, knowing that my lingering depression isn't because I can't get over an event that I've put behind me, or that something's wrong with me; it's simply a hormone thing, which I'm eternally thankful for. 
Right now, I'm in the clear.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: My eight year story.

Isnt the human endocrine system utterly amazing ... Welcome... I am glad you are doing ok now ... I was just researching PCOS for my daughter ... hope you continue to post

Hi @squeakinghiccup, what a fascinating story!  Thank you for sharing it with us.  Your story shows the importance of a correct diagnosis but how unpredictable our reactions can be.  For someone without your childhood experiences and subsequent depression, that diagnosis could have been felt differently.  But for you it's been a revelation that explains so much.  What a great outcome. 

Welcome to the Forums, I hope you are able to spend time with us here as there are lots of friendly and supportive people around.

What an amazing journey you've had, and true testament to getting well. It's amazing how the body and mind can be connected.

Can I ask if you found that once you starting going to counselling if you felt any bodily changes? I ask this because when I feel healthy in my body, I also feel healthy in mind, and vice versa. 

What do others think?

Thank you for sharing your journey. I myself have been dealing with anxiety and depression since my teen years after getting bullied at school. I am now 52.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance