Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Becstar160
Casual Contributor

New and really dont know where to begin

Hey everyone.
My name is Bec and I am a 23 year old single mother who has just been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and Bipolar disorder. I see my phyciatrist once in 3 weeks.
Guess I want to know how has other people started their process or accepting the diagnosis? How have dealt with the diagnosis. I personally don't know where to begin and feel a little overwhelmed by it all
7 REPLIES 7

Re: New and really dont know where to begin

Hi @Becstar160

Welcome to the forums

I dont have a clear diagnosis but strongly identify with many aspects of BPD.

It is a new thing for me to share with similar others ... I have only been on the forum 2 months.

I hope you get some relief from reading and sharing.

Thank you. I dont think I helped myself by borrowing this really big book abkut BPD. The information is good there is juat a lof of imfomation it is a tad overwhelming.

We do what we do ... I mainly have looked at it online ... although I first heard about it 25 years ago in regards to my brother.

Thank you I will try that

Not sure which state you are in but there is a BPD community website in Victoria .. and lots of general information from lots of experts ... spectrum are good ... DBT and schema therapy recommended.

Mostly take it gently ... and live day to day.

Good luck.

Hi Becstar 

Welcome to the forum!
It makes a lot of sense that you are feeling overwhelmed with these new diagnoses, it is a lot of new information to take in. There are many other members here who have have had the experience of coming to terms with these and similar diagnosses. You can read about members' experience of recieving a diagnosis of BPD here and here, and duel diagnoses (BPD and Bi-Polar Disorder) here. You can also use the search function to find posts about these diagnoses. 

I wonder if you have any specific questions about these diagnoses that other members may be able to shed some light on. 

Perhaps other members could share what changed (or didn't change) in their life after recieving a mental health diagnoses. What have been some of the positives about receiving a diagnosis? What have been some of the challenges?  

Thank you @vegimite that qas helpful. I do have a couple of questions I want to ask but I might do a search to check they havnt already been asked first
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance