Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Old Habits

I didn't go to work today...and this is how I feel.

I slept until 10.30am and have been in my pjs all day, have not left the 4 walls of my house and kept all the doors and curtains closed. Completely shut off from the world. I haven't once felt anxious or teary. That should feel good but instead I put guilt into the way I am feeling. If I am feeling calmer and less how I was yesterday or the last few days / weeks I should be at work, it is what is expected...right????? But I know if I leave this place, aim my car towards work it will come crashing back down

Some days @BlackCat13 you just cannot face the day - that can happen whether you have a MI or not. Having a day to yourself sounds like what you needed so don't beat yourself up for that. You work in a hard profession so it is not surprsing that you need a day off every now and then Smiley Surprised

Saw  my psychiatrist yesterday and he has increased my medication. It was an exhausting session of talking and answering the "are you going to be ok until I next see you, your not suicidal?" I may have those thoughts sometimes but I know I would definetly never follow through because I would never want to impact the lives of my nieces or students.

Returning to work on Monday is going to be difficult and now I have just found out my parents are coming to visit and plan on staying at my place for 5 nights. Family is one of my stressors along with work so looks like I will end up back at square one (where I was on Monday) Smiley Sad  I have spent these days not at work at home with just my cat, all doors and curtains closed so the world could not enter. I felt calmer during this time and now my re-entry into life will have overwhelming stress. 

@BlackCat13 Heart Hello!

My students were also a reason that kept me here.

@BlackCat13. The way you describe Depression creeping back into your life & then the changes that occur - is exactly how it feels when I've been feeling a little better and Depression rides in and says "No".

It's depressing in itself, let alone without the negative self talk and the full on guilts. It's a hard time to struggle through. 

But I've managed 3 weeks now without Depression in sight. So hang in there. This too will pass.

Holding you until your strength returns

TAB
Senior Contributor

I didn’t go to work today either @BlackCat13 I had been being so good well last few mths sickies are usually the norm for me but am only casual so no pay and get less and less work as seen as unreliable. Then there’s debt and health and stress and trying to make something up tomorrow re absence well sort of genuine reason I chipped a filling and it’s bothering me but so are a lot of other things and am putting off going to dentist/couldn’t get an appointment. To top it off havent been eating properly or exercising and have put on weight and am about to go for a coronary risk assessment for work to access a certain site that is more picky re health. Apparently medical from a a few mths ago not up to scratch for them re age etc etc can feel blood pressure has been up last bit and last few days Going to get it checked as a gateway to employment isn’t helping. too late for quick fixes am dreading it. Leaving now

@utopiaThank you. I am simply focused on 1 day at a time and knowing I see my psychiatrist again this week (we had to alter an appointment which has turned out to be fortuitous) I'm happy you are in a good spot.

@TABI hope you are doing ok. Work causes so many issues for so many Smiley Sad I haven't been eating properly either. I just don't seem to have the desire to cook for 1 or the energy to eat. Make sure to look after yourself.

TAB
Senior Contributor

Hi BC @BlackCat13 😀 um yeah seem to be scraping by after medical add on thing. Have blood tests Monday now as part of it. Yeah my attitude/motivation wearing after being put with people hadn’t worked with in years re old bad work attitude bad jobs , brought a few ghosts back well memories of crap jobs and sickies then getting cut off of work by same company. I’ll get thru. Have to re survival/debt accrued while not working. Going back to old employer after being dumped is rough. Had easy ish run re people from past dunno just doing own head in I think. Having what passes for my new knowledge of resilience tested lol. You take care too. Black cats and 13 are lucky for me. Not so sure about life and how I deal with it tho re lucky. Oh Well

@TABnot sure re life luck with me either. Black Cat 13 is because I was born on a Friday the 13th much to my grandmother's dislike.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance