Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

NikNik
Senior Contributor

People who attempt to take their own lives provide valuable lessons for suicide prevention.

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow, 10 September, is Suicide Prevention Day. To mark the occasion we wanted to share this important research by SANE Australia and the University of New England, which explores the experiences for people who have attempted, and what we can learn from them to save lives now and in the future.

The top 5 lessons were:

1. Reduce the stigma around suicide
  2. Expressing suicidal thoughts is not just attention seeking
  3. Suicide is not a selfish act
  4. Professional support is crucial
  5. People who attempt suicide are resilient

You can read more here

From this research came this short film, containing the inspiring stories of those who have attempted and what has helped them.

*Please note: Although there is no mention of methods of harm or any graphic images, it's important to be aware that the content may be triggering. There is disclosure of what circumstances brought them to a point of suicide, but then focuses on what helped them move on.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: People who attempt to take their own lives provide valuable lessons for suicide prevention.

For those who feel comfortable sharing -  What helped you that prevented an attempt or after an attempt?

*Please be aware of the Community Guidelines before posting. We ask that members refrain from mentioning potentially triggering details, such as method or graphic detail of the attempt.

Re: People who attempt to take their own lives provide valuable lessons for suicide prevention.

Hi @NikNik,

I suppose what has prevented me taking my own life is fear of what impact it would have on my mother, and knowing their are others out their that have the same feelings as me, having people to talk to who don't judge is really important to me.

Having something to focus on in the future is really important too, if their is nothing to strive for, their is no reason to go on, setting goals is a big part of how i cope and keep going.

Thank you @NikNik and the sane team for supporting so many of us who struggle every day.  you work has helped save many lives.

Jacques

I remember being really scared of myself after my attempt. To not trust myself was the scariest feeling in the world. I was extremely lucky to have a lot of very supportive people around me who taught me a few coping mechanisms below;

Focusing on the small things. Very small things, like sitting down and being aware of the sounds, smells and feelings around me.

Also, when I feel like I'm losing control, I sit with it and feel it. I really feel it and explore the feeling, as uncomfortable as it might be (sometimes I can't) but if I can hang on it eventually passes. The more I try doing that the more I realize next time that the feeling is just a feeling and it will pass.

Forcing myself to sit with others (often the last thing I feel like doing at that point).

Thank you for this thread. I only just found it.

Sept 10 is also 20th anniversary of my brothers suicide so heavily laden with meaning. I was just struggling keeping on with the music of the living ...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance