Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

littleone
Casual Contributor

Staying Strong.

Hi, I'm a new to this so here we go.

My story starts off during childhood.

Split parents/ family, arguements on who's side to take pretty much growing up until I was 14 a month out from turning 15. During my 9th year of high school, I was repeatedly sexually assulted and occasionally physically abused by my step father at the time. This was also happening to my sister as well, just not the physical abuse.
From the impact of what happened, destoryed both my sister's and my own relationship with my mother's side of the family. The court case went on for some time in my final years of high school and also during my university bridging course. During the case, I started seeing a counsellor provided by the state government, at first I didn't want to go see anyone. But I'm glad that I did other wise I would not be here today.

After the court case, my mother said some horrible things about my sister and myself which isn't true and to this day I cannot be around her or see her without having an anxiety attack and everything that happened shoved back in my face, that's when I fall back into depression badly. I had thought about throwing myself in front of multiple trains or how/what could hurt me the easiest or quickest.

However, from this event also destoryed me mentally. I have suffered Depression multiple times and currently suffering from anxiety. I moved away for a fresh start, which helped myself mentally and relationships, it wasn't until my grandfather passed away I fell into depression again. Guilt hangs over me like a rainy cloud whenever I think about him. My sister and I never got to say goodbye to him properly and at his funeral our mother's side of the family treated my sister and myself like outsiders.

It was at this stage, I went onto anti-depressants. I was on them for sometime until early this year. However, due to major stress, pressure and coming off anti-depressants I fell back into depression, started self-harming reguarly and ending up over dosing in hospital nearly ending up in ICU.

Currently, I am doing fine. I defeated depression since I've come out of hospital and currently suffering from anxiety and trying to beat it's butt. Smiley Happy

Alot of my friends say that I am a strong person and inspirational person as well. I don't understand how I am an inspirational person because I feel like a "normal"person who has had bad things happen to them.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Staying Strong.

There are a lot of unsung heroes and heroines. @littleone You have endured a lot.

It is great that your friends are proud of you.  Normal is just a word ... I have noticed that some very confident people are quite happy to act NOT normal in public .. just having fun and mucking around ... Welcome ...

Hi @littleone,

Wow you have endured a lot during your life time, it is so sad when families fall apart, i have never had a family because all of my fathers side of the family live overseas and wants nothing to do with me, and mums side live all over Australia, i only see them at weddings and funerals.

I am so sorry you had to endure physical and sexual assult when you where young, mine started when i was 8, it is something that always stays with you.

I am encouraged by your outlook on life now @littleone, i am glad you are trying to get back on track, like the saying goes, "you can fall of the bike several times, but you can always tell someones determination by how many times they get back on"

I wish you all the best for the future @littleone, i hope things work out for you and your sister.

Take care, Be kind to yourself.

Jacques

Welcome @littleone

thanks for sharing what must have been a horrific situation, and that you still bear the remnants of today!

I'm sure others would be interested to know how you have beat depression, and now how you are addressing anxiety, (beating it's butt). Would you care to share some more details on this, I'm sure it would be warmly welcomed??

Is it possible to make peace with missing your grandfathers funeral, so that guilt is not another thing you are dealing with? Your own celebration of his life with your sister maybe? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

@-karma-, I've defeated depression twice but I still have triggers. Being on anti-depressants did help me but I did what was best for myself which was moving away from my hometown for a fresh start, which did establish indepedance in myself. I always say to my friends if their upset in a situation "Do what's best for you" cause what's best for you in the end will make you happy. Some people might not know what's best for them yet and that's okay, it's something that they might want to discover, cause you'll discover yourself along the way as well.

With my anxiety, it's getting better, but I had one yesterday after catching a glimpse of my mum at the RSPCA where I volunteer. Everyone was really supportive there, when it happened. But I'm coping on a day to day basis and not let it get in the way of my own happiness.

Maybe one day, but my sister and I weren't allowed to go see him in hospital before he passed. We kept getting "We'll have to see if he wants you there" or no repsonse at all. We did go to his funeral, but we were treated like outsiders. I think why it's such a guilt trip for me was cause he passed away the day before I moved away.

Hi @littleone,

Welcome again to the forums! As Karma has already said, thank you for sharing this with us, it not easy talking about these experiences.

It is great that you have beaten depression twice! The triggers will be there but it sounds like you are aware of what they are which is great. Moving away for a fresh start sounds like it worked well for you. Knowing that you need to do whats best for you is a great thing that you learn from self-discovery, like you said and its great that you have learnt that along your journey.

Good to hear that your anxiety is getting better and its not getting in the way of your happiness. Much like the triggers for depression you mentioned, anxiety will often have its own set of triggers. Working with supportive people can be helpful and glad they were there to support you yesterday.

Losing a loved family member is extremely difficult in the best of circumstances and not being able to say goodbye to your grandfather, particularly in these circumstances must have been very difficult. Particularly when you are treated like outsiders after what you had already been through. Have you ever spoken about your loss with anyone or have there been other priorities for you to address?

Look forward to 'seeing' you around the forums Smiley Happy

Rockpool

@Rockpool yeah, i've learnt how to cope with the triggers. Also not dwelling on the past is a big part of self discovery, life is about living in the moment. I'm glad that I'm still here and the other contributers are here as well.

But in regards to addressing my loss I haven't really spoken too many people about it. I don't think about it alot cause I know how much it does up set me and I would rather be happy and I know my grandfather would want that as well and I know he's watching over me.  It is sad how the funeral situation was dealt with but hey no one can change that.

@Jacques, I'm sorry I haven't responded to your reply. Don't be sorry, it's just sad a mother couldn't even protect her own children and for you to deal with that happening to you at such a young age would of been horrific especially with you not knowing what was going on until you were much older. 😞
I'm glad that I have encouraged/inspired you, there's always hope in any situation. I hope your future works out well for you 🙂

Your attitude is great @littleone

I attended a funeral with a similar sense of division when my mother died last December.

It is sad but I agree with you that it is important to live in the present.

Many people dont have that much control and past memories intrude in their current life.

Stay Strong and be aware ... lovely to have you on the forum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance