Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MyBrother
New Contributor

Voluntary - Bipolar

My brother has been diagnosed with bipolar.
He is off his medication and is a danger to himself. Because he is voluntary we have been unable to encourage him towards seeking help. He is a danger to himself and others. After speaking with mental health QLD we are unable to enact a court order. He has now been arrested for DV but it is the mental disorder that underpins the behaviour. Without DV he would not have been compelled to a hospital. We want to prevent and get him the help he needs but it appears that something must happen before he gets the right help. Looking for solutions to help not hinder

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Voluntary - Bipolar

Hi @MyBrother

Welcome to forum.

You might find these threads relevant here and here and here

And other members have similar stories @Former-Member and @Hubby21_Dad23 and @Uggy78

Have you looked at http://www.publicguardian.qld.gov.au/adult-guardian

SleepyPanda

Former-Member
Not applicable

@MyBrother

Sorry for the slow answer, I look after my husband with BPii + more

Sadly the medications used for bipolar are not without side effects and between this, a loss of insight and often self medication can lead to much poorer outcomes. Even encounters with the criminal justice system is not motivation enough for some to realise they are better off with active treatment.

I will tag you in a post about loss of insight and I do recall another forumite who may have a story that aligns more with yours.

I am very grateful Mr Darcy is medication compliant, does not self medicate and is not violent.

Darcy
Former-Member
Not applicable

@YJacob has a sibling too without insight that has ended up in trouble.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance