Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Maude
Senior Contributor

Yes but…… (In response to the article “Join the conversation”)

In response to the article “Join the conversation”

This article, posted in the media section of this site, talks about the value of online consumer forums and ends with the following quote:

“The importance of peer-to-peer networks to participants shouldn’t be underestimated. Susan Stewart Loane, from Macquarie University has researched the ‘consumer value of online health communities.’ She says forum participants may experience significant benefits such as increased confidence and wellbeing in addition to the satisfaction that comes from helping others. What’s not to like?”

Yes, on-line forums can be both valuable and an important outlet for consumers but such forums should not be an “out” for under funded or non-existent government services.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Yes but…… (In response to the article “Join the conversation”)

I'll have to go read the article as I've not seen it yet but I don't think anyone is suggesting an online forum could ever replace a service.  Forums are excellent communication mediums for people who are unable or lack the confindence to call or walk into a service.  The benefits of peer support in all it's forms has been so underestimated and forums such as these are invaluable and accessible to a range of people.  

Most services are charitable, not for profit and non government services.  They are underfunded and they do struggle with what they have.  The staff are seriously underpaid and overworked, and the hours of operation are short due to that funding.  Peer support and online forums fill that gap.

Re: Yes but…… (In response to the article “Join the conversation”)

Hi everyone,

You can find the article referenced above here

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance