Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

shenightowl
Casual Contributor

accepting what is.

Hi everybody'

I am new here and looking forward to communicating with others who are suffering with mental health problems.  For many years I suffered alone, the effects of depression and anxiety was at times devastating.  I made many wrong choices, self medicated through alcohol,(currently under control) ,worked at a feverish pace so I didn"t have to think and generally blamed myself for not being"strong" enough.  Two months ago i became very ill with pnuemonia and my anxiety disorder and depression returned. But THIS time i am getting help, I will lNOT just rely on anti depressants, which merely mask the condition, but have the will, at last, to try and help myself.  I saw a really good therapist yesterday and was so lucky as I have major financial problems, but he is going to bulk bill me.

I suffer from GAD, depression and panic attacks.  I also have bad physical health problems...today I resigned from my job, as I am too unwell to continue.  I am scared, but have feel in my heart that I must begin the journey of healing, though it may be painful.

Wondering how this site has helped you and how you are all managing your illness.

Have a lovely day...photo is being in the process of loading.

5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: accepting what is.

Hi and welcome @shenightowl

So glad that you are coming here, and that you are reaching out for help in so many ways! I relate to so much of what you wrote about working so much that you didnt have to think and always just thinking that its that you're not strong enough when in fact, its an illness and strength really isnt the issue! I also had to take leave from my work in January and so far havent gotten back... have had a lot going on but have also been trying to use this time to focus on myself and heal a bit. (sometimes i feel like im getting somewhere...!)

I think this place has helped me realise that I'm not alone.. it allows me to not focus on myself too much and realise that these disorders/illnesses affect lots of people in similar ways, albeit all in unique situations! It has made me feel less broken i guess. I feel good about being able to support other people and its a relief to be heard and understood in only the way that other people who are going through something similar can understand!

Such a great question! Thank you!

Even though there is some fear.. sometimes its kind of a choice between staying with how things are (not great and thats scary on its own because you kind of know thats not going to change!) or trying something new (very scary) but could lead to smething different and better! You've taken the first steps, which i think are the hardest! Well done!

looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

LJ

Welcome. I am slowly learning to "accept what is" .. lovely post.

Hi Lisajane,

It was great to sign in and see your reply tonight!  Your response was comforting and encouraging..already I can see how this forum can help others through mutual sharing.  It meant alot that someone replied ...you were the first!

It is SO hard to take time off from work isn"t it?  but toninght I am starting to feel a bit of relief I have one less stress to worry about...guess I will have to find a way to budget as much as I can though..  Good on you for taking that step to give yourself time for healing too.

I am so exhausted from stress and anxiety  &, i wish I had started this journey earlier but regret, guilt and shame are such major obstacles . Need to let go ..

Many thanks for your lovely welcoming reply!

cheers for now

Yes it is a learning curve..I go from acceptance to anger..a daily struggle! thanks for answering appleblossom

I have been involved on a healing journey for over 35 years and still move from anger to acceptance. A lot of meditation and mindfulness encourages a detached awareness of those emotions .. just noticing and letting go.

There are so many different therapuetic approaches. I am interested in what you choose and how it progresses.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance