Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Hot Chocolate Anyone ?

@River9

They are super easy, as long as you have a fox proof coop. We've had a lot of losses through foxes and sadly our dog. 
We have a rule, chooks in dog out, dog  out chooks in...

These lot are the most neglected (ie in for a few days at a time rather than free range) and they are the most happiest and healthiest. We happily keep them away from our dog.

We have far too many eggs and I give them away all the time, I do a lot of cake baking so use them up for that!

@YTT we've got one lonely chookie girl at the moment. She had a penmate who got sick and died. I want to get some more chooks, maybe make it a little flock of five or so, but even that many would give us a lot of eggs to use. And I do need to build a  bigger and more secure pen before getting any more. We've lost some to foxes in the past from pens that we thought were secure. They're crafty so and so's.

Apart from Chookie, we've got a couple of guinea pigs and three rabbits. Herbivores can be fed on garden greenery if the feed bin runs low and we're not planning a shopping trip for a few days, and they don't hunt small birds, lizards, frogs... as much as I like cats, if we had one it would need to be confined indoor or in a cat run, or we'd be losing some of our much loved local wildlife. 

@Smc Every time we've had foxes raid our coop we have to upgrade it. It's amazing how they get in  - and out!!

My girls are so friendly, their coop is big so they can stay days locked up but they love to free range. They even escape our property (not hard) and go down to the creek but I worry about dogs getting them. The only way I can contain them is in the coop and it's not fair. After floods went through our town they headed straight to the creek to get the goodenss that was transported down the creek, they mostly say at our place

@YTT mm I've heard that you have to keep them well protected from foxes! I'd definitely have to protect them from my dog too.

Sounds like you have a pretty efficient rule! 

How lovely to have fresh eggs. My sister had chickens and the same thing happened to her - she had way more eggs than she could eat! Nice that you're able to use them in your baking 🙂 

oh  and @River9 my favourite food is egg and vegetables... so I  use some that way. My kids not so much. we occasionally have cooked eggs for breakfast, mostly I give them away.

Hello @River9 Smiley Happy

much better today than last night , got the day off today because of the very heavy rain , so I cleaned mum`s house today and her washing and her cupboards

Good morning @River9, @Faith-and-Hope, @YTT, @Smc, @suzanne, @Former-Member, @Determined, @Catcakes, @Anna88

Hi everyone ..... 👋💕

@suzanne, one of my forum friends has a little companion dog, and an older cat that needs time out from the dog’s attentions ...... so she has given the car her own room sanctioned off with a child gate. The dog will come and sit by the gate, but he can’t get in, so the cat comes and goes as it suits her, giving her control over her own situation.

Could you put Lola into a playpen of some sort ..... even a portacot .....and provide her some toys there, maybe human baby toys with dangling rattles, mirrors and things ? Having kitteny claws she will be able to climb the fabric of the portacot, but putting a box in there, and food maybe (kong ?), should keep her more entertained and occupied than jumping all over Rosie.

Good afternoon

Who would like a cuppa with me @Faith-and-Hope, @YTT, @Lunar, @Scout or any of the moderators who are around , @Acacia

chai.png

Me please @Shaz51 ...... ❣️

how is your day going @Faith-and-Hope, my cousins in WA sent photos after that fire when the sun was setting

No work today , we had about 300mm of rain overnight , so no mowing

I cleaned mum`s house this morning , I should be doing something now but !!!!!!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance