Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Casual Contributor

Delusional & Dangerous

My husand has been diagnosed with Bipolar and Delusional Paranoia. We have been living a constant nightmare. Regular episodes that include seeing numbers on papers, rubbish, and the infidelity accusations. I did read when I studied this illness , there is paranoia, suspiciousness. We are constantly living on egg shells not knowing when the next episode will occur.

The listening devices, apps that follow my every move. Pictures from events and he zooms into people in the back ground and says he was there to meet me etc. It is so mentally draining having to reassure a grown man that what he sees is not what it is? He even wakes up our children at all hours of the night to show them blurry pictures that he has made into a face, object, numbers. We have finally got him to see our GP and he has put him on the medication that he needs. It has only been 1 week, but God only knows that pain that we have endured behind closed doors. Recreational drugs triggers these thoughts and gambling makes things worse.  I just think he has issues growing up and has affected him in his adult hood. We as a family whole have suffered and not sure how strong I will be to continue with this recovery...

Has anyone else been through this? HELP

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Delusional & Dangerous

Hello @321

A very warm welcome to the forums, it is nice to meet you.

It sounds like you ahve gone through such an incredibly tough time with your husbands bipolar and psychosis symptoms as they have impacted the family greatly. I am glad to hear he is taking some medication and I hope that will ease his symptoms as soon as possible as they can take time.

It is great that you are reaching out yourself for some support for all this as you are a carer for him, that can be very exhausting and it's so important you get as much support as possible to be able to support him. here's a thread where you can introduce yourself if you'd like too, can be a nice way of meeting other forum members 🙂

Do you have many supportive people in your life who are there for you? Or any carer/family support options such as counselling or even respite? I am happy to link in some services if you would like.

Lunar

@Lunar Thank you, I have been seeing a Phycologist for me to manage his Episodes. I would appreciate if you sent me these Links to help my situation. 

That is great you are getting support from a Psychologist @321

I will attach some carer/family support services below:

Bipolar Caregivers
www.bipolarcaregivers.org/
Aim is to make bipolarcaregivers.org a useful, easily accessible information website for caregivers of people with bipolar disorder. On this website you will find information and suggestions for caregivers (and consumers) about:

• What is bipolar and how it is treated and managed.
  • Ways to help a person with bipolar disorder who is 18 years or over.
  • Ways caregivers can take care of themselves, deal with the bipolar disorder and the personal impact it has on them.

With information on Resources and Research

Mental Health Carers Australia (formerly ARAFMI National)
National Helpline 1300 554 660
www.mentalhealthcarersaustralia.org.au
Mental Health Carers Australia seeks to: explore and strengthen the mental health caring role, develop knowledge, improve skills and offer support to reduce isolation and enhance the caring journey, and advocate on behalf of carers.
The Mental Health Carers Australia member organisations services across Australia are: Mental Health Carers Tasmania, Mind Australia, Arafmi Mental Health Carers and Friends Association (WA) Inc, Mental Illness Fellowship NT, Mental Health Carers Arafmi Qld, and Arafmi NSW

Mental health foundation for carers
www.foundationsforcarers.org.au 
Part of carers Australia
The Mental Health Foundations for Carers is an online program designed to assist carers looking after someone with a mental illness.

If you care for someone with a mental illness, you face particular challenges and issues due to the nature of mental illness - but you don’t need to feel like you are alone. If you find the mental health system confusing and feel your own needs are not being met, these resources can assist you.

The Resources web-pages set out practical supports and services you can access: carer life course, emergency care plan, acute care plan, sample family agreement, enduring power of attorney, and checklist.
The Foundations Interactive explores common issues faced by carers of someone with a mental illness and sets out some of the issues you may face and types of support you may need. This interactive also contains video clips of carers sharing their experiences, as well as photos and text. 8 topics:

1. introduction
  2. About mental illness
  3. The mental health system
  4. Treatment and interventions
  5. Grief and loss
  6. Coping strategies
  7. Purposeful coping
  8. Practical support

You can explore this online program at any time that suits you in the comfort of your own home. You can review and revisit any of the content at any time you like.

Family Drug Support Australia (FDS)
1300 368 186
24 hours 7 days a week
http://www.fds.org.au
Supporting families affected by alcohol and other drugs in Australia.
  • Coping Tips
  • Drug Facts
  • Guide to Coping
  • Support Groups
  • Treatment Services

I hope this helps,

Lunar

@LunarBless! thank you from the bottom of my heart...!

I will spend the day going though the links, as I cannot do any online at night when hes home.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance