Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jkate
Contributor

Mental health/unrealistic obsessions

Hi,  I have question regarding my husband who has schitzophrenia.  

Does anyone else find that the person really obsesses over a particular thing even though it never actually happened?   My husbands fixation is very much on peadophiles, in the begining it started out as something that could have been believable but soon turned into this enourmous unrealistic things. He is obsessed with twitter, to the point where he won't put his phone down and just keeps refreshing constantly and tweeting to any politician/tv personality he can, calling them peadphiles and drug traffickers, or what ever is the focus of the day.  That alone could lead to him losing his job if it was ever seen from his employer. 

So I guess i am just trying to see if this happens with anyone else?   If so, how do you deal with it, as i can't seem to get any help from his doctors or friends.  When he gets like this he gets more and more distant to eventually the point where he won't talk to you at all anymore and the voices start putting the  'run away' ideas in his head. 

Meds are also a bit of an issue, as only the  "good" ones he will take, not the antipsychotics.  

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Mental health/unrealistic obsessions

@Jkate

Hello and welcome to the forums.  

It us awful when we see our partners deteriorating. My husband has BPii (although Sz was in diagnostic mix for a while there and remains in the back of my mind). I don't have experience with hearing voices but when psychotic my husband felt that being homeless and living off charity was desirable - he went AWOL a few times - so can well understand your concerns.

Does your husband have a relapse prevention plan that you can activate?  I am assuming from your post that hubby has a case worker or pdoc that you have informed about these changes. It is do frustrating that sometimes things need to reach crisis point before any interventions can occur. 

How are you coping yourself? It can be so draining when our loved ones are not so well.

My husband believes there is absolutely nothing wrong with him, everyone else is just out to get him and full of crap.  He will go to the psychologist and psychiatrist, but sits and lies the entire time and the doctors know this. He only goes because he is scared if he doesn’t they will lock him away ‘for no reason’ again under the act. 

I had a good relationship with the doctor until the last relapse and my husband revoked the permission to talk to me, so now I get absolutely no where. Friends come to me concerned but are to scared to confront him, his family is messed up and want nothing to do with it.  So it’s just a bit to tricky to get any help. Anything I say to him on the subject just makes him mad and threaten to run away.

@Former-Member wrote:

@Jkate

Hello and welcome to the forums.  

It us awful when we see our partners deteriorating. My husband has BPii (although Sz was in diagnostic mix for a while there and remains in the back of my mind). I don't have experience with hearing voices but when psychotic my husband felt that being homeless and living off charity was desirable - he went AWOL a few times - so can well understand your concerns.

Does your husband have a relapse prevention plan that you can activate?  I am assuming from your post that hubby has a case worker or pdoc that you have informed about these changes. It is do frustrating that sometimes things need to reach crisis point before any interventions can occur. 

How are you coping yourself? It can be so draining when our loved ones are not so well.

@Jkate

Giving the pdoc information is not a breach of confidentiality. They can listen to what you have to say.  

I do not know how to link but in the special events tab there is a topic Tuesday about being excluded from care - there are links to govt regulations about this.

@Former-Member wrote:

@Jkate

Giving the pdoc information is not a breach of confidentiality. They can listen to what you have to say.  

I do not know how to link but in the special events tab there is a topic Tuesday about being excluded from care - there are links to govt regulations about this.

Thanks I will definitely look into that.  I haven’t had the best of luck with the doctor anyway, even when he was speaking with me, he knew my husband was back in psychosis and I was giving him actual evidence of things he was doing, but then my husband would go to the appointment is a fantastic actor and nothing would be done.   Now when I contact the doctor I don’t get a reply to my email or a returned call, so pretty much given up there.

@Jkate they would be receiving your input @patientpatient sends his sons pdoc information which I don't think is acknowledged.

Mr Darcy also is not good at giving information - wants to be seen as doing fine.  I have said to him it is imperative for him to say when he is not doing so well so as to keep him out of hospital.   I also assure him I am.on his side and advocate for him. Fortunately he is still happy for me to be involved - he does not get paranoid, just delusional. 

Hi @Jkate and @Former-Member, Yes, I still send emails to the psychiatrist if I'm really worried. The current psychiatrist doesn't respond, the previous psychiatrist did. My son has various obsessions but they're less of a problem now... and I attribute that to the antipsychotic meds. There was a time when he wouldn't live in a house with carpet, or allow heating to be on, was fearful of TV's, phones and screens. All those delusions gradually faded away... and also came back when he relapsed. I figure that informing the psych (and keeping a copy of the emails) obliges the psych to take note. 

That’s true, I guess they have a duty of care to read anything that is sent to them Incase something bad happens. His psychiatrist seems to pretty much thrown his hands in the air with trying to get him to take the antipsychotics because he just flat out refuses to take them. When he was on them, it took a few goes to find ones that didn’t give a bad reaction and then one of the new generation ones were given and he was great for about 5 months, then he refused to keep taking it because “he’s fine” and the doctors are just trying to drug him because they are all “apart of it” . His paranoia always focuses around being spied on, the house is apparently being watched etc and peadophiles.

How do you manage with the relapses? Does he go silent and look at you like he hates you etc

Hi @Jkate, yes he definitely goes silent but I don't get the hateful looks (though he said some awful things). Instead he obsesses about something. Last serious relapse he wanted to rip up all the carpet in the house. He's compliant with meds and doesn't want to go back to hospital having had two involuntary admissions. He hated me for "putting him in hospital", though I didn't know at the time that he'd end up being an involuntary patient. But that got the treatment started and, without treatment, we were in a bad way. Getting the meds right took years, lots of changes initially but eventually something worked... though med changes are still happening. Here's a page that @Former-Member often links, it helps with perspective. Wish you all the best.

@Jkate I will tag you in a talk about 'lack of insight' that explains why patients cannot see that they are unwell. 

Side effects are just awful, I don't know if Mr D noticed some of the side effects but he certainly noticed when he put on weight and things did not happen in the bedroom 😞 I don't know if @Sanatorium23 has had the situation of her partner refusing meds. @Carlachris has the problem of her husband getting on social media etc when he is unwell.

Just a quick hint if you put an @ in front of a persons name they will get an alert that you have tagged them (as I have done with you).  The last 5 or so people who have responded to a post will show for selection, but you can start typing any ones name for links to come up.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance