Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

whatsinaname
Contributor

New diagnosis - scared of new meds

Hi everyone,

I've just received a new diagnosis of Bipolar II and PTSD, and am struggling with decisions around medication. I've been on an antidepressant for more than 15 years (for what was previously diagnosed as depression), but my psychiatrist has suggested trying small doses of mood stabilisers or an antipsychotic- initally as an adjunct to the antidepressant but with a view to eventually going off that. I'm scared of trying both of them as my Dad has tried mood stabilisers and experiences terrible 'dullness' as a result, and I'm pretty sure I tried the antipsychotic in the same adjunctive way as a teenager with only negative effects. Also, the long-term side-effects sound awful - I can't stomach the idea of almost certain weight gain, and the liver/kidney risk is intense. I've looked into an anticonvulsant as an alternative, and my drs are not saying no, but also not saying yes enthusiastically. I'm just really scared to change as it's so exhausting and so disheartening when it doesn't end up helping (I've ended up back on the same antidepressant several times after trying alternatives). Does anyone have any advice or hope? I know it's a very personal and individual thing, but I'm just struggling to make a decision, and I feel like I'm almost not going to try anything if I'm this uncertain (but am too unstable to not try anything either). I'm also still just trying to come to terms with the new diagnosis and understand what it means for the long term.

I'd appreciate any insights anyone has on bipolar or PTSD. I'm certainly doing a trawl of the existing posts as well! 🙂

Kate

1 REPLY 1

Re: New diagnosis - scared of new meds

Hi @whatsinaname and welcome to the forum. I read your post understanding how difficult it can be both to adjust to new diagnoses and to work out and make a decision about medications.

I live with PTSD (along with MDD and anxiety) and haven't had many great experiences with medications. I find myself experiencing side effects that make me question whether I'm better or worse with meds, usually reaching the conclusion that I am worse off with them. I've tried many different types of medication but up until recently hadn't tried a mood stabiliser. I was at a similar point as it sounds you may be where I felt a lot of uncertainty and fear yet was also feeling like I needed to try something different as I wasn't as stable as I would have liked (and probably needed) to be.

What I found has been really helpful is having a doctor I trust. I feel like she understands my history and what I would like, and she respects and encourages me to make informed decisions about treatment. I think that the strong working relationship we have really helped me to feel confident that I could make a decision and work through any hiccups that might happen along the way. Knowing that I would compromise the trust she has in me, also motivated me to be sensible and compliant with medication (something I have struggled with in the past). We've very slowly added a mood stabiliser and, while I have only recently reached what may be a potentially therapeutic dose, I have been able to tolerate side effects. It's been my best experience with medication so far.

As you mentioned experiencing also, I have felt exhausted and disheartened with it all over a long time. I have had times feeling very hopeless, and went into this full of uncertainty and doubt. I know it is different for everyone, but I am really glad I tried and I'm very thankful that I have the support of a couple of treating professionals I trust.

I hope you find something helpful that works for you too soon. It's great to read you've looked through posts on the forum - you'll find lots of people with different experiences and insights to share and I hope you find it helpful to be here.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance