Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

DGoldman
Senior Contributor

Alcoholics Anonymous meet

Hey everyone I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the correct place. I’m supporting a friend whose doctor has advised him to start attending AA meetings. I found a listing online of meeting times and locations. i found What seemed to be a local meet for my friend, gave him the info. But when he went to the meeting it was not a support group for people who drink too much, but a support group  for family members of alcoholics.

my friend was totally mortified and is mad at me. Has anyone had any experience finding a correct AA meeting near you? How did you find it?  And could share some advice ? Thank you 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Alcoholics Anonymous meet

Hey @DGoldman,

I think this is a good palce to post this! So to clairfy what you are looking for is some info on how people find/found AA meets? The process they went through for that? (just as you know our guidelines stop us from sharing specific locations of meets that's all) 

This website https://aa.org.au/ is really great. It has a directory here where you can search the AA meetings in any specific suburb and you can read a bit about the different types of meetings here. There also looks like there are some useful resources you might like to give your friend too. They also have a helpline 1300 222 222 which connects you to a local AA office. It might be worth calling and explaining the situation if you want more information or even giving that number to your friend?

I know its really tough when you want to help a loved one so much and you do all you can - this is a really kind gesture. Just always be aware that as helpful as you can be, the responsibility of recovery still sits with that person and you cannot take that wholly on board. If they are getting upset with you, just ensure you keep looking after yourself first. We are all better able to support others if we support ourselves first! Might even be worth having a read of of Carers side of the forum to get some pointers on supporting friends ☺️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance