Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Hope
Casual Contributor

Art Therapy for carers - new service

I’m from Mind Australia, one of the partner organisations of the Carers Forum.

MIND is offering art therapy to carers of people with a mental illness and ASD. A two hour Art Therapy session will be offered once a week for 8 weeks

What is Art Therapy?

Art therapy uses the creative process of art making to improve and enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of individuals.

An art therapy session can:

• Stimulate imagination and creativity

• Provide a safe and supportive environment to express feelings

• help to connect with others

• increase self awareness

• provide a space of relaxation and peacefulness

• engender a sense of hope and inner strength

• improve the overall quality of life.

No previous experience in art is required as the product is not important; it is the experience of participation.

If you are interested in attending or would like further info please call the Mind Rosanna Office - 8640 5674

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Art Therapy for carers - new service

Is it in Melbourne?

Yes, it will be held at the Northcote Town Hall commencing this Thursday - we still have a few places so let me know if you are interested. Ph: 8640 5674

Time: 10am - 12:30pm

Please see below quotes from carers that attended the last block of art therapy for carers.

• Not only have I seen more about how this next phase of caring can go I now have confidence that I hadn’t even dreamed of to go out in the world with.

• Every week just kept getting better and better.  Great co-ordinator of Mind – very friendly, a great teacher; they both worked well to get understanding of a carers needs.

• I have found myself more naturally joyous and more able to bounce back from everyday challenges and changes that I have to deal with, so I am more robust in myself.  Thank you for the rich opportunity to explore with others and by myself in a way that’s respectful, mindful and supportive.

• Art Therapy has added to my life by giving me new ways to look and deal with every day things.  To be grateful for what I have got.

• The Art Therapy has helped me look at things in a positive way.  It has made me more bubbly and creative.

• How this program, has opened so many doors in a good way is e-measurable!

• Anything – The Mind co-ordinator has created some extremely supportive, nurturing and invaluable opportunities for us as carers to take time out and discover ourselves in our strengths. The art therapist has created some truly amazing workshops enquires and facilitated some wondrous opportunities to learn about art, colour, processes, creating some peace in our everyday lives.  Brilliant! Thank you.

Bummer. I live in Sydney.

Hi Annabelle,

I thought as you live in Sydney, you may wish to call ARAFMI NSW on 1800 655 198. They have an extensive database that may help in referring you to all sorts of different services that might be close by to you.

Really enjoyed the Art Therapy! I was a bit tentative at first as I'm not very "artistic".

No need to worry as art skills are not required. A friendly, warm atmosphere and a great way to meet other carers. I can recommend it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance