Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Mental Health First Aid Course

Has anyone done the MH First Aid Course? There's a good online writeup today on ABC news today:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-26/mental-health-first-aid-encouraged-for-all/8981062

Why don't they teach this stuff in schools?
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Mental Health First Aid Course

@Former-Member There are a range of courses available - from Workplaces to Youth Mental Health courses for Teachers and Leaders. I am supposed to be doing this last one (depending on how I am doing!).

There are both face-to-face and blended courses you can do.

More info for you - go to https://mhfa.com.au/

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Zoe7, its a great idea, sometimes its hard to know how to handle my brother when he's overwhelmed by psychosis, especially when argumentative or sobbing terribly. Another thing to save up for.

I know the Teacher course is small (max 25 participants) and runs for 2 full days. There is a calendar of courses around the country on the website (if I remember correctly up to about the middle of 2018 so far) so you can check out what is close to you and when it is offered @Former-Member.

I am pretty sure I won't be able to do all of the two days - I can barely get through 2 days on the couch lol - but should be worth doing what I can and then maybe the whole course at a later date!

I did this course a couple of years ago @Former-Member through the university I attend, it was well worth it. I dont think the course they replaced it with (at this uni) is nearly as good.

I did the course a few years ago it was very enlightening. There was a diverse group of participants ranging from lived experience to little understanding of mental health. The course was conducted over two days. One of the best short courses in any field I have done.

Hi @Ma60 @Former-Member @Determined @Zoe7

How are you all tonight ? 

What a great thread.....It's about three weeks old but the context is something that we sll should be thinking about: just like @Former-Member.

I did the Mental Health First Aid about 5 years ago I think.....about that. It is geat because it covers things like

1. self medicating

2. need for medication.

I ca'nt remember anything else....does anyone know anymore?

PeppiPatty 

Moved:

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

I did the course a  years ago it was very inspiring. Really good stuff and materials.Now i really read some education platform, this for example https://truowl.com/. After different works and sport training i read that. I think it is good addition to the course.

I hope it's OK to post on such an old thread but, I recently completed the "Mental First Aid Course" and I feel it might be useful for some Carers.

My wife & I have spent over a decade of dealing with a "twenty-something" year old child who has severe mental health issues which unfortunately had a negative impact on our other child too.

During that time, I have spoken to professionals, read books & posted questions on this forum. In spite of our efforts and having the best of intentions, we have sometimes learnt what doesn’t work by making big mistakes.

Nothing that I had read or been told has been quite as practical as this two day course. In particular I feel I have a now have techniques to deescalate the anger without directly disagreeing with the maladaptive beliefs behind it.

The book they provide is about 180 pages and is a bit repetitive, but I'm keeping it on my nightstand for reference.

If you are interested, here is a link to their site.
https://mhfa.com.au

Alfie

P.S. No... I'm not a shill for these guys 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance