Forums Home

Lived Experience Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with mental illness, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Psychologists try to speak out about hegemony

Hi,

This is a summary of a peer reviewed article. The article published in the peer reviewed journal "psychosis" is linked on the page linked below.

It is also an introduction to a site, where the summary was written that was started in homage to the inimitable Robert Whitaker, someone who it was vital for me to find ony recovery journey.

I do not have mental illness. I was forced to say that I did under duress. I know I am not alone.

Speaking out against abuse has been a vital part of my journey.

In this article, psychologists describe how they, too have faced pressure and felt silenced in trying to help in a responsible way.

I hope it will help all those who feel silenced, like I do, to find an avenue towards a truly helpful journey.

We are not alone 🙏

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/04/psychosocially-oriented-psychologists-struggle-medical-model/

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Psychologists try to speak out about hegemony

Thanks for sharing @Fredd50 and we're sorry to hear that you feel silenced. Have you been researching this as part of your journey for long?  

Re: Psychologists try to speak out about hegemony

Thank you for the link @Fredd50 

I appreciate your point of view and am sure many other readers do too..

I studied psycho-social theory in my mid 20s in my final year. I had been lucky to study from a broad range of subjects, so I can laugh and tell myself it is not an obssession.  As I walked to uni, I chatted to my father over the fence buried at the cemetery.  He had been diagnosed and had an appauling life.  I often looked at life through the lens of pathology, as I spent a lot of time visiting psych hospitals for my family, but later I made a decision to go to psychologists rather than psychiatrists.  It did make a difference to round out my understanding of human development and cultural diversity.

Thx again for posting.Smiley Happy

For urgent assistance, call: