Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Butterfly81
New Contributor

Car Accident

Hi Everyone,

I was recently involved in a car accident where I was driving and ive had, what I'm now being told was a panic attack, which is when a motorbike has hit the back of my car. The man on the motorbike ended up dying at the scene. The only people that know are my mum and my brother (he was in the car with me).

There is a criminal investigation happening now which I completely understand. Im really struggling with not feeling anything about it at the moment. I've blocked it off because I think if I start to process anything I will spiral and I still need to speak to the police and legal representation plus when I speak about it I feel clinical and blunt. I'm worried that because I haven't processed my feelings now I never will.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Car Accident

Hi @Butterfly81 & welcome to the forums 😊 I'm so sorry to hear of your experience with the accident. From what I know, trauma can take a while to process. It's ok not to feel anything straight away- it sounds like a lot, and that might take a while to process. I'm sure you'll find many others here who can relate also. Take care 💐

Former-Member
Not applicable

This is not legal advice, but I would be careful before assuming that because the Police are investigating the incident, it's a "criminal investigation". The guy ran into you, not the other way around, so I don't see what you could have done. It's worth noting that the Police always investigate sudden deaths, even stuff like heart attacks, and prepare a report for the coroner... and you might sound clinical and blunt, but the investigation process itself can be kind of clinical and emotionally distant. That's OK. Either way, don't worry about it until they get back to you.

I would recommend speaking to your therapist if you have one about your condition. It can definitely affect you while you drive. Someone I know had either a panic attack or disassociation while driving. She called Lifeline and had them on Bluetooth while she was driving, just to keep her safe until she got there.

All the best, and I'm sorry to hear about it after all. I have to recognise the deceased, and extend my sympathies to his family 🖤.

Just remember, you're important too, don't fret over it 🦋.

Hey @Butterfly81 

I don't know how your feeling but I know whats it's like to be in a traffic accident where someone dies. 

All I want to say to you is we are here to listen if you need us and don't be afraid to cry and be upset. If you are not sure who to talk to, please give a call to lifeline, it's anonymous and you won't be judged. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

hello @Butterfly81 that would be so hard to go through Panic Attacks are already scarey but when it also involves driving a car also I cant begin to imagine how it feels to be in an axcident which results sadly in someone dieing,Smiley SadPlease take care and sending hugs to you it may take you a long time to process everything that has happend take things at your own pace emotionally if your able toHeart

Thankyou all for your kind words. It is definitely a long journey to come to understand what has happened.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance