Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

News and what's new!

I am concerned about Mt Agung and Vanuatu eruptions.  Many families and their homes are at risk. 

I have rarely had anyone to just talk about life matters in a timely manner. Even just the news.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: News and what's new!

I really understand that @Appleblossom

That can be really tough at times - we all need to air our thoughts at times - even about the news

There's some tough things happening in the news lately - lately? - for my whole life since I was capable of understanding

I like living alone but now and again there are times when I feel the need to talk about things - that happened yesterday when a couple of things that concern me got to be too much

I don't know if that would be enough for me to share my home with anyone though

AW - what do we do about this? - what do we do? - perhaps find a socially motivated website? - perhaps start our own socially motivated website?

Dec

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom

I feel for these communities at risk of such natural disasters also. Actually cried at the plight of children being buried alive in the school collapse at Mexico recently.

I was just reading that in this second decade of the 21st century (2010 till present) - has had one of the highest death rates worldwide from natural disasters - Haiti & Japan being two of the hardest hit. It is concerning as this trend is accelerating in frequency and ferocity.

Thank you @Owlunar and @Former-Member

I was not allowed to read the papers and never developed the habit.  Father worked as a reader for Age.

I am more in touch with what goes on now than ever before. 

Just thought this thread could be for discussion of more than new apps or therapies.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom

I think that's a good idea for a discussion thread. So your dad worked for the Age - was he a journalist or editor?

I enjoy reading about worldly events -  also enjoy reading about good news. I have some to share from my day if I may. I went into my volunteer work today with somewhat of a heavy heart as currently I am struggling with a lot - but managed a smile and conversed well with customers.

It was approaching the end of the day and there was not many customers in the store left at this time, only a mother and her adult daughter. While they were shopping I was sitting at my til pondering in my mind whether any of my efforts at volunteering were really actually doing any good at all. Then I served a customer at my cashier whom at the end of the transaction turned to me and handed me $5. My face was one of bewilderment 😯. She looked at me and said "please take this money and buy anything you like with it", to which I replied "Oh no I can't do that, I can't take your money". This dialogue went back and forth for awhile.

She then said "I so appreciate what you and everyone does here for me and others, and even though I am struggling myself I want to give something back to you for the good you do which helps so many and means so much!" I was so touched. I didn't take her money but let her know emphatically what her gesture and words meant to me!

"This could not have come at a better moment in my life when I was questioning my very purpose, worth and effectiveness as a human being". The good news is the effort we make to help another touches and does far more good for the giver and receiver than we could of ever imagined.  Pass it forward ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance