Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Kriss
Contributor

Should I switch psychologists? Or go to a therapist or counsellor instead? Or-

Hello hello

So, I'm gonna be honest, i've been to many psychologists at this point. Like 4 or 5 I don't even know because I kept going everywhere. There's many reasons why but it's settled down now.

Currently with one psychologist who is honestly kinda a vibe, but like, I don't know if I can keep paying for his services anymore.

Out of all my psychologists, he was actually the one who finally diagnosed me, since our appointments were actually somewhat consistent compared to my past experiences.

I just, got no clue what to do. If i should try someone new and you know- preferrably less financial stress on me? Besides, I don't know if we're really getting anywhere either, but that might be my impatience talking.

I also have no clue if going to a therapist or a counsellor might work just fine too? Like, just want to know.

Please share your thoughts and experiences if you'd like.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Should I switch psychologists? Or go to a therapist or counsellor instead? Or-

That's so hard @Kriss . I recognise how expensive it can be. I wonder if you can utilise psych sessions less (say once a month or once every 2 months), then utilise other services in between e.g. if your work has EAP, online counsellors, SANE's Guided Service, counsellors, university provisional psychologist services....

Once you have a psych that you have a good rapport with, it's good if you can stay with them. 

For me, there was a stage a had 2 psychs. One was through my area mental health and the other was my private psych. I'd see them alternatively each week and we'd work on different things.

I have to day though, that despite it being annoying to have to start again and again when you meet new psychs, it's also good to get new and perhaps different insight when you have a different psych.

What do you think?

Re: Should I switch psychologists? Or go to a therapist or counsellor instead? Or-

Hi @Kriss 

It sounds like you have a more trusting relationship with your current psych than others you have seen previously.  I understand how costly psychology sessions can be, but I think its important to stay with someone that you gel with than trying to find someone else that may be slightly cheaper but you might not have the same rapport with.

Would this be something you would feel comfortable bringing up with your psychologist?  Perhaps if you mention this to them they might be able to come up with a plan with you to make things more financially achievable for you?  As @tyme suggested perhaps reducing the regularity of sessions with them and using subsitute sevices may be an option.  With guidance from your current psych you may achieve a similar outcome as having regular sessions with them.  I know when I have seen psychs in the past and have been given "homework" tasks to do, the time in between appointments has been a bit of a stretch and I would have benefited from having a check-in session with a mental health professional (even if it wasn't my current psych).

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

I don't know if i am allowed to mention specific companies. But HBF flex 60 extras only private health insurance costs me $20.66 a fortnight and gives $1000 towards 60% rebates on psychology outside the 10 medicare sessions. So I end up about $500 plus new glasses in front each year

Hi @Kriss 

I was in the same boat as you for a while, I was going to a pyschcologist through my GP Mental Health Plan and while he was a nice guy, I didn't seem to be getting much out of it.  So I looked around and a friend mentioned an app to me called ThisWayUp, its run out of St Vincents Hospital and it covers a whole range of MH illnesses.  The best thing about it is that once you have signed up ( I think it was $60) you can revisit the app as many times as you like and it kinda has worked for me as it reinforces all the skills I should be working on.  Only a suggestion, but it might assist if you need to cut back on formal 1 on 1 meetings.

All the very best  

Hello @Kriss , 

I'd say the key to a good practitioner is making sure you have a positive connection (a vibe) and that you have consistency in appointments (sometimes easier said than done, but even going once a month is consistent). 

At the end of the day it's up to you, it seems from what you've said that you have a pattern of jumping between who you're seeing or stacking them up. 

Would you consider committing to seeing your current psych for 3 months? And doing that consistently? Or finding a new one and then making that pact with yourself. You are unlikely to see results if you keep changing people and having to spend so many appointments on introductions etc. 

@Jasper_123 

Mmm good point. Though the original times of switching wasn't something I had control over. I was a minor at the time and my parents weren't the best with my mental health. I had to fight to keep on having any sort of support, hence the switching.

In terms of consistency, do you think it matters in terms of time between? Just curious.

Hi @Kriss , I think consistency is key - especially when you are in a place where you have active issues of concern. Even one appointment a month is consistent and allows your psych to follow up with you/track how you are going and look for patterns in your behaviour. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance