Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kelly83a
New Contributor

Anxiety has taken to many years of my life

Hi all,

I'm only new to this. I'm just wondering, for all you anxiety & panic attack sufferers- what do you do to help with your anxiety? I've suffered for many years now, and I'm so mentally & physically drained from fighting this, I'd love to hear how others have delt with living with such a horrible illness 😞 thank you for your time.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Anxiety has taken to many years of my life

Hi,

Welcome to the forums, its a great place for people who have been through all of this stuff. I have ptsd, anxiety and depression. Its hard and im still in the learning how to cope with it all phase. I guess one thing that i've been learning more recently, some help from a psychologist and gp that fighting the fears/anxieties makes them stronger.. some combination of facing them and reducing the reactions that i have to past events.... and accepting the fear and anxieties seems to be helping. Although in saying that ive been having a bit of a hard time recently and finding it hard to believe that i've changed at all in a good way. However... I keep reminding myself of small things... two years ago it took me a week to buy a set of cutlery that we needed because of fear lol (i know it sounds ridiculous now.) but i'd had no control over anything for a long time and starting to take control over things was so frightening! now I can buy things that we need with relative ease i guess.

There will be other who are more helpful than I, im sure! 

Welcome and I hope you find the forums as helpful as I have. You are definitely not alone and there are so many different ways to recovery and living life well and its great to be in a place where people can share and provide so many different perspectives and experiences to help each other,

LJ

Hi Lj,

Thank you for your reply. Reading your comment made me smile...reason being, I can see you are pushing yourself to be the real "you" again...though the struggle is still there for you, you are slowly breaking free from the anxiety demon. I wish I was strong enough. It's just so hard & draining. Hope to hear from you soon 🙂 Kelly x

If i can, you can 🙂 we're all stronger than we realise, just have to find ways/skills/strategies that allow that strength to come out... and get back up when we fall over hehe! but it is extremely draining, sometimes i think we do just need to be really nice to ourselves and say its ok to just stop and rest and do nothing for a bit (an hour, day ... a month in hospital for me lol!) to be able to build up the reserves to be able to get back to the madness of fighting/accepting/skilling up/strategising that mental health or wellness needs!

here listening!

LJ

Hi @Kelly83a Welcome

I have had chronic anxiety and panic attacks with specific triggers ... ie like @Former-Member it was about supermarket shopping... never owned a "born to shop" tshirt. ...

Sometimes it is low grade anxiety sometimes full blown ... but it is always with me ... however .. I am a doer and I take things on and I try to live with courage so I dont really stop .. just slow down or retreat when things get too much.

Cheers

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance