Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Perimberlat
New Contributor

Bipolar. Embarrassing things you do

I was on holiday, interstate. Went off my medication for a while. I really enjoy singing but usually only do so in public when it is socially appropriate ( at a concert, karaoke, etc). Now I was waiting at a train station to meet some relations I had never met. I amused myself by learning a new song , playing it on my phone and making up a dance routine too. When my cousin arrived ( just by himself at first ) he had barely greeted me when I launched into my song and dance routine ! Later at lunch with my aforementioned cousin, his wife and brother and son I talked really quickly and enthusiastically about myself. I mentioned a couple of my high achievements ( these were genuine ) but none of them said anything in response. Some time went by after the meeting with no calls or texts from my cousin. I sent a message which I now really regret complaining that they said nothing about my achievements and suggesting the sort of things they could have said. In a roundabout way I even suggested they were unkind. I don't know if this situation can be remedied but I will send them a Christmas card with a little letter explaining that I was unwell and not myself and that I regret the text I sent and perhaps we could still keep in touch. Has anybody else had the experience of behaving inappropriately when meeting people due to illness and were you able to explain about it later ( and hopefully you received some sympathetic understanding )

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Bipolar. Embarrassing things you do

These kinds of things keep me up at night when I am not doing so well. Other nights I sleep like a baby.

Unfortunately, it is not always within the scope of people we love, or admire to comprehend what those of us with a lived experience go through.

Do you have anybody to talk to about this? Or is this why you posted here? I'm hesitant to overstep any boundaries regarding my own similar stories.

🙂
deshift

Re: Bipolar. Embarrassing things you do

Hi @Perimberlat 

I have bipolar and I’ve said sorry for a lot of things I remember doing and things I only heard from others. I don’t share much anymore. Depending on how important the relationship is for me I might just apologise and mention that I wasn’t well, but I don’t go into details with people that don’t belong to my inner circle anymore. The 3 in my inner circle unfortunately have plenty of experience with my ups and downs. I’ve learnt that I don’t owe anyone an explanation and to be honest I wouldn’t have an explanation that would make much sense to myself or others anyway.

I don’t know if this is helpful for you but I hope it’ll make you feel that you’re not alone in this journey x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance