Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BorderlineGirl
Contributor

Coping

Does anyone else have a reborn baby to help with there mental health issues? 

9 REPLIES 9
tyme
Community Lead

Re: Coping

Hey @BorderlineGirl ,

Do you mean reborn baby dolls?

I think it’s an awesome idea. I don’t have one because I’ve got real kids around me ALL the TIME. Kids and babies have definitely helped with my mental health.

I’m interested to hear more.

Yes reborn baby dolls. I have 4. One is the size of a tiny newborn,  one is roughly the size of a 2 month old and 2 babies the size of 3 month old. They were painted by an artist to look realistic. They all have rooted hair and are weighted to feel like u are holding a real baby. Holding them helps with my anxiety. But I also just appreciate the art they are so beautiful.

@BorderlineGirl   I used to have a reborn doll which helped me, that in addition to the 2 baby dolls I still have who also hold lot of sentiments to me.

my go to is the original Patches, a multi coloured teddy bear that provides me a lot of comfort when I have my nightmares

StanD
Senior Contributor

Hi @BorderlineGirl after reading your post last night, I ended up buying a reborn on Amazon. It will come tomorrow.

I love this idea. I don't have any babies. 

I didn't know if it was silly.

Do you have specific place you buy from? I was not surprised by the price - they are beautiful, realistic.

I bought a the duck one for around $70. If I love it, I might save up to get more quality one.

Did you name yours?

Do you ever take it out with you?

I am worried what people would think about me.

I like the idea of taking baby out in stroller. Buying clothes, etc.

I have lots of stigmas about being silly.

I'm trying to think of name.

Thankyou lovely, for sharing. I'm willing to try different ideas for my mental health - I don't want people to think I'm odd. .... then again ... Why try to fit in?

I think I feel like, ppl might think, I'm doing this to try& get attention.

No need to reply. Expressing my thoughts. It is soooo different than the identity I currently project. I like new things🙂

Thankyou so much for sharing👍👍

What a great idea @BorderlineGirl @StanD @Patches59 ,

Rewind back to my MH journey, I reckon I would've done well with one. Thanks for sharing @BorderlineGirl . I remember people taking them out to the shops and putting them in the child part of the shopping trolley. They are so amazing. No one would know any different.

I looked them up and the idea of being weighted and having a heart beat is incredible. I generally melt around babies, so I think it would have been so therapeutic for me.

Good on you for giving it a go @StanD . 

Great to hear your experiences too @Patches59 

StanD
Senior Contributor

Awesome @tyme you are giving me great confidence. It is not silly. I'm thinking you are intelligent, respectable person & you can see benefits of having reborn. I need to get past this idea that I'm imposter. You are giving me lots of food for thought.

Sorry, I sound slightly sedated. I needed prn. 

I have  25 days b4 eviction.

I want to, plan to allocate all jobs to ndis! They will be better than me anyway with their connections & housing. 

I have headache on & off. Did good sorting earlier. 2 hours or so of work. I want to pack just one box today, I need it for feeling of things progressing.

Thankyou for acknowledging me in previous post. I know, you know.

Amazing, those sage words have been my backdrop since I read them.

Speaking of sage - I lost mine. Misplaced. It will turn up. My PSW says she has too much in her work desk & offered me. 

However, I did find a camera - 15 or so years old, I thought my ex had deliberately taken it from me. The wrong thought - for so many years.

Thankyou @tyme 

What about an old Gunners Concert Video!?! 🥀Thankyou, thankyou thankyou All.

@StanD  having something (pet, human, etc) in our lives to love and cherish is priceless.

having a reborn doll is not silly.  I’ve recently downsized and no longer have the room for more than 2 dolls.  Oldest of my dolls was made not longer after end of WW2.  Couple years ago I saw online the cot I wanted for her and my dolls now share human child rocking cradle with all the lace trims.

As an adult I’ve never taken the dolls out of the house, too worried what people might say.  I thoroughly enjoyed buying baby clothes for them.  Last year just before Easter I bought cute little Easter design onsie for each doll.  

looking forward to hearing more about your newest family member including the name you decide on.  So exciting

Hi. Yes there names are Lucas, Michael,  Peyton, Emma.

I have bought off ebay before but all my current babies are from the same lady who I found through Facebook reborn groups. I want to take them out but I too worry about being judged. People on the Facebook groups say most people assume the baby is real and asleep or are curious about a realistic doll. I do have a 2nd hand car seat for when I'm brave enough and a toy porta cot where 3 of my babies sit in and the 4th in the car seat ( they are in the living room )

StanD
Senior Contributor

Hello @Patches59 @BorderlineGirl @tyme 

My baby arrived! Upon opening the box I instantly smiled at the cuteness. Sweet little body face, hands feet. I named them Phoenix. No gender, tho I think of 'her'.

I love those names @BorderlineGirl I can see (imagine) them sitting , or laying! -in the lounge. It is a cute & warm scene

I swapped clothes, or played around with outfits. Fun. And I will buy cute clothing from op shop or Kmart.

Phoenix slept in bed with me. I held Phoenix as I had my morning tea & vape on backsteps ☀️ this morning.

I watched the feelings in me.

Not real - but real, to me. I had my own baby now .... to hold, nurture.

Silicone. 

Mine 

No pressure

I think I will definately be getting one of the very lifelike ones, one day, perhaps. I look forward to it.

Phoenix is cool for now.

I like to think of car seat.

@Patches59 I can feel your happiness the cot brings you.

I didn't expect to feel therapeutic - comfort. It's nice. 

Strange, cold face. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance