Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LAmour
Contributor

Frustration and handling myself well

I came into hospital late Thursday night with severe abdominal pain, like nothing I have had before. (I have Crohn's Disease and had a sleeve gastrectomy in October last year).

For hours they tried all sorts of things, but nothing eased the pain. In the end they gave me morphine and sent me home. I had to be back in the next few hours for my 8 weekly Infliximab infusion (for CD).

That afternoon, I ended up in severe pain again after eating lunch and was eventually admitted last night.

I was told someone from the surgical team would come and see me last night. They didn't, but put me on a drip and was nil by mouth.

Then I was told someone would see me today. It's now 10pm and nothing. After realising I hadn't eaten a thing for 30 hours, they have taken me off NBM and allowed me to eat tonight.

I'm hoping that the surgical team will see me tomorrow and I can get some answers. I am feeling very frustrated and angry that I have been 'forgotten'. How can I be that forgettable?

Not taking someone's head off has been so challenging, but I don't want to be seen as a problem child. Finding that balance is proving challenging.

The thing that took the cake though was one of the nurses dropped some of my meds all over the floor. I don't think she realised that I saw because she then went to offer them to me. Is she for real??? Would she accept meds off a hospital floor??

The worst thing is communication, or the lack thereof. It's shameful
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Frustration and handling myself well

Hi @LAmour,

I understand your frustrations with the public health system.... I worked in public hospitals for years and I was usually frustrated with them myself. Smiley Frustrated

I would say that your experience is typical and not unusual. The hospitals are burdened by lack of staff anf long waiting lists... to be honest, you are 'lucky' to even have a bed! 

You have not been forgotten. In my limited experience, I think the nurses would have been giving the surgical team updates on your condition- otherwise you would not have been given permission to eat.  

The thing is, when you do finally get to see a doctor, you may not get any answers, you would probably just be referred for some tests. 

I hope you are not still in pain? 

Try to use all the free time to do some deepbreathing and get some rest.  I hope you have better treatment today. 

Hi @LAmour

I hope you're feeling better and some action has been taken to figure out what's been going on.

I've had similar experiences when in hospital, but through that I have found some super-nurses and it's made me realise how awesome they are.

I make sure to buy those nurses some chocolate or a small gift. They make such a difference.

Nik

Hi @LAmour,

That sounds like a very unpleasant experience. 

There can be so much waiting around, with not much communication between hospital staff and patients. 

How did it all pan out in the end?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance