Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: GeminiLion Roar

@Lauz @nashy @Appleblossom @nashy and anyone else.

Quick Catchup.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I looked it up the other day. 

Regarding Carers Queensland and locally. Yes I am already a member and have been a few years now. Dad get home care via another service provider which recently introduced fees but it really low almost like a donation. He just get home cleaning. But has access to transport, nurse if required, garden maintenance, etc. 

I had this big plan for the day, to get ahead a little, but dad called. I had to go around. I was a little annoyed as he woken on the 'wrong side of the bed' as we say. From there, walked straight to the local grocery store which I wasn't too keen for (dislike shopping on weekends because people seems to be nasty and rude but this morning was all good - just someone turn the music right up). The walk is all good and I feel much better but will be at dads in a moment for usual lunch. 

Seen my doctor yesterday and she wants me to do a list of my medications so she can update my file/ check what I have at home. She is sadly leaving town. I will be having the same GP as dad's. Took a long time to find a decent doctor. And one that bulk bills (been told the other one will/ advised to. Same clinic and the rule is no bulk bill but each doctor can put a case to management for specific individuals based on hardships, medical reasons etc).

Other news. My depression is fine. I am feeling down by seeing a few odd fellow artists I know getting accepted into the finalist list for Archibald. I again, never did an entry. I had planned to. I linedup a politican but thought something happen/ lost social media contact (re-made contact again accidentally). But really it was largely me just not getting around to it. Maybe next year. I hardly paint these days. I am pushing myself for a small competition that I have won a few times before. Its worth only $3000 but the painting usually sales if wins, so there is another avg $1000 after commission. I will have a drawing in too, but that section is just $1000. I was in a car accident (with dad) and while my car is drivable it doesn't look pretty. I been paid out (fight with the other person's insurance but eventually won). Just not worth repairing. So I'm scrapping up money to getting a new more recent second-hand car. Being a Carer, no one looks at us for loans, even if we can pay it back and have great credit rating. Beisdes when I looked at the repayments I reckon it easier just to walk in with cash to bargain with than paying more than what the car is when they are already over priced sometimes

Love to chat but almost midday and got to go. I gtg. Good catching up 

Sounds like you've had a good day, even though your plans changed @GeminiLion. Those art competitions sound great, I'm sure one day you'll have your Archibald entry ready in time. It must take a lot of time and sacrifice to paint for that competition. What style do you paint?  

Question. If I am using my own thread and then like start afresh on the same thread. What is the best way to start afresh. Do you understand what I mean? For example this is a fresh restart now (Is there some click I am suppose to use? Or should I just attach it to the trunk being the very first discussion to create branches?

ALL GOOD LONG WEEKEND AND TRIAL A NEW ROUTINE WITH DAD

The weather has been beautiful and perfect for the beach but it’s a long weekend, so I am avoiding public places. It has been getting cold at night, and I had to start closing the windows and the fans are no longer on (temps are dropping to 20 - 22 degrees?). Think it will be a cold winter this year after past few years being mostly no winter at all.

I am trialling a new routine this week with dad. Been going to do it with false starts before. I usually go and see to him mid-morning followed by cooking a "big" lunch then afternoon chores. My pdoc wanted me to change my routine to say "No" more often to him and put myself first. By changing the routine, making it like my Sundays which I do get things done. The new routine is so that I can basically get things done for myself, instead of constantly getting behind in my own chores and tasks. So, from today I am there for breakfast and organising his day (i.e. meds, check if he will eat lunch). Then I will return after 4pm to do any tasks that he needs and cook dinner (some extra at time for his lunch if needed).

Previously, I end up there at his place nearly all day. And when I get home, the afternoon sun position isn't appropriate for studio work. So, I usually go for a walk avoiding the school bell times. And I have been napping a lot! I think based on my healthy choice research reading of late, that the napping might be more 3 o'clock sugar crash rather than depression which I initially thought it was.

The new routine won't work every day, but I am hoping it will create a better balance of my day, allowing me to have a life. 

Today's topic on SuSI is saying "No" and being assertive which I need training.

Enjoy.

I am feeling in a position where I gave up my own creativity due to my caring role.

Maybe we can support each other not to give up on ourselves.

Heart @GeminiLion 

Re: GeminiLion Roar..

Dealing with Ground Hog

I have attempted this change in routine from lunch to dinner with dad. It does not seem workable for different reasons. I.e. If we have to go somewhere; I have to see him in the morning which could lead to negative mood for me; he isnt able to use the microwave properly.

So I guess I have to go back to midday lunches with dad. I suppose I have to have lunch too, right? I will rejuggle "yet" another timetable that will give me some personal time.

I am a little worried that my precious cat (named Buster) has not shown up on time this morning. He has done this before but been a very very long time. I will do a CBT in a moment to get me through the worry. I have called out and walked the nearby streets. With cold weather settled in he might have found a warm place to sleep (instead of my lounge or bed). 

Take care.

Re: GeminiLion Roar....

I am wondering if I am posting all wrong. Not that I am after attention. But no reply or even support has me concern this "thread" method is not working. I will see how this post goes.

Week been okay. Depression isn't bad but felt really lonely last night and again this morning. I really need to avoid social media.

I had someone (again/ not the first time this happen) that on inadvently got me down on social media by arguing that everyone on welfare are bludger and that they all should be on welfare card etc. And he wasn't refering to Newstart but everyone, including disable, carers etc. I just tell myself it is because he is jealous for the wrong reasons.

Went and got my glasses rechecked. They were positioned wrong. Why did the woman the other day not use a diagram chart? I have had similar trouble at this shop before. Some seem to have proper experience while others don't know what they are doing and just there as salepeople (do they work by commission??)

Dad has been challenging. But I am use to it. I.e. getting the news incorrect, and going back in history, very repeatative. 

I wont write anymore in case no one is listening.

Hi GeminiLion,
lola here, one of the moderators. We are listening and i sure hope you responses soon.
And I agree with you that social media can result in negative feelings etc, so best to avoid.
take cre
lola

sorry ive been missing posts @GeminiLion
your last posts seems to have been where there was a glitch in the system so most of us wouldnt have known youd posted.

sorry youve had some trouble with social media, i generally stay away from it too. jsut bad news mostly anyway. lots of trolls and keyboard warriors.

have you managed to get support for your caring roles?

Only what I already have in place which isnt the carer's support services. It is a different mob that I believe is Queensland based/government incentive. He gets fortnight cleaner and have access to transport and other stuff. It was free but they started fees this year but it is really low almost like a donation. We did have to cut back his services though to just what he could afford/ what was worthwhile and not just the sake of it.

I found with Carers Australia/Queensland regional office here you have to pyschically go in and see them in person. They seem much more concentrated on single mothers with disabilty children only and no one else. Even their calander is just aim at this target group. Carers for elderly is not a strong point. And I have been let down by them when it came to assisting when I was not here a year ago. Been told next time just let the Queensland Health mob that organises cleaning know next time and they will organise someone to see him instead. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance