Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Krimson_celt
Casual Contributor

Hearing Voices

Ten years ago I was drugged and then tortured, for how long I don't know, all I know is by the end of it I was irreparably damaged and changed for life. 

This event cost me everything I had, I lost my home and became homeless, I lost all my friendships and connections and I lost my sanity.

Looking through the eyes of someone who had experienced such a violation of their being the world became a very different place. When once I had felt comfortable and safe I now found my environment hostile and dark.

And I heard voices.

While some were members of my family who had passed on and  cared for my situation, most were very unforgiving.

They blamed me for being raped and we're the very opposite of supportive. They very quickly degraded what was left of my self esteem and self worth.

It was just me and the voices. And to be honest it was like I had never escaped the man who assaulted me. Because they reminded me of him.

I completely lost touch with the creative, intelligent woman I had been before this. I spent years aimlessly walking the streets consumed by voices who said they were witches and out to destroy me. And I became entangled in the mental health system being retraumatised again and again with repeated hospital admissions as a result of my apparent insanity as witnessed by the public. I never found any real support in those places though. And the medications have done little to quieten the voices and give me some much needed solitude from them.

It's been a hard road for ten years, the time of my life when I should have been finding a partner and having children was stolen from me. That is something I will never get back. And because the voices are still so brutal in my every day life to this day I am not given the chance to process the grief and deep sadness of losing the chance to have children and basically having my youth stolen.

It is torture. I am still living with the man that assaulted me.

I hear others aswell. Women are the worst. The compare our situations, they do not empathise with my experience and chose instead to put themselves above me. One of them taunts me by saying my deceased son is her child not mine and that my estranged brother who I was very close to before I was tortured is hers. It is incredibly hurtful and they offer no sympathy.

Although they are voices it is much like the dynamics of being in a toxic relationship with a group of people. Narcissistic and manipulative behaviour. The only thing is that because they are voices in my head they even follow me to the toilet, I cannot escape them by going into another room.

Most of the time the things they say to me make me feel suicidal. It's really difficult having people around me who only see the bad in me when I was once loved and respected by all the people in my life. Those people are long gone and it is very lonely.

I think they say that there is nothing lonelier than being in a crowd of people who don't understand you and you would feel less alone if you were just in your own company and I can definitely relate to that.

Recently I was homeless and had a seizure as a result of no food intake. I was in a deep psychosis and the voices made me feel guilty for eating because I receive a pension and they made me think that it's stealing so I stopped spending money on food.  It was incredibly scary. It's so hard going through this all alone. After this I started to head some helpful voices. They encouraged me and showed me kindness. It showed me how sensitive I am to the impact of others. Because when I had their influence as opposed to the cruel calculating ones I felt alone safer and happier with myself as a person. Being with the negative ones makes me contract into myself and act out in ways I wouldn't normally. They make me feel like a bad person and they feed off my insecurities. They can suck the life out of a room very quickly and make me feel hopeless.

I know what I need to feel better. I need a genuine person who understands what I'm going through and is willing to give me their time. In the last ten years I have only ever seen improvement in my quality of life when someone has done that for me. It is very rare to find such a person. The world has become so fast paced and self involved these days that it is very hard to find such a person. That's why it gave me great relief to have kind voices after the seizure. Another reason to grieve the loss of such companions when I had nobody else.

My life feels like a tragedy most of the time and I feel like I was made for much more than this. Also I have seen the other side when I have felt life was not just worth living but that it was magical. Deep inside I know this is hurting me deeply but I spend most of my time trying to ignore that because it is too painful to acknowledge.

That might have seemed like a lot but really that was only a small fragment of what I experience. I still have hope that one day I will again experience the magic of life and not just the tragedy but in all honesty I find life incredibly difficult.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Hearing Voices

Damn @Krimson_celt 

I'm largely lost for words after reading that.

I'm so sorry for all that you've gone through

I can't offer much, but I so hope you do find some magic

Hi @Krimson_celt 

I'm a moderator here at SANE and have sent you an email to check on you. I hope you can respond soon. But I also want to say how amazingly brave you are to share what you've been through. You've been through so so much but you are still finding hope and know that you just need the right support. I truly think that is a wonderful quality that you have - to find hope in such darkness. 

If you are looking for kind and empathetic people you have come to the right place. The SANE forum members are truly awesome. There is so much kindness here that I do hope you stick around. Like @StuF said, I hope you can find some magic. I know it's there for you and hope it comes sooner than later. I see that creative, intelligent person in the story you shared and also know with the right support you will see that person too. 

Hugs 

Hanami

Thankyou for caring,

I appreciate it so much,

It was helpful for me to share that story rather than keep it all inside. 

God bless you.

Thankyou Hanami,

It can be very lonely so it's nice to have someone who understands. 

Thankyou

@Krimson_celt 

That makes me so happy that it feels good for you to unload and share. I know that feeling of having something so dark kept inside. It's awful. While mine was not as awful as what you've been through, I did keep things inside that it was affecting me so badly.

Do you have any nice things you like to do for yourself such as hobbies?

OMG @Krimson_celt ...what you have suffered...OMG. 

I am so very sorry to hear 😢

I'm so glad you have some kind voices. 

Sending you hugs and wishes...

Hey @Krimson_celt 

I'm not about to compare myself to you because what you've been through sounds absolutely horrendous and I'd be lying if I said I could understand. But I wanted to say, I believe you and I hear you. 

About 10 years ago when I was at my worst mood-wise I heard voices. The thing is though, they were versions of my voice but they were hateful. Telling me I was a terrible person and when a part of me tried to protest they would just laugh and put me down even more. But I couldn't control them. It was like a conversation in my head and I was just spectating. I then had to move back to my parent's house because things were so bad. Then one night after I'd gone to bed I felt this sudden sense of peace. And I heard new voices - this time not my voice - they said "we're here for you" and "you're safe now" and I wasn't scared at all. In fact I felt ok for the first time in months. The next morning at breakfast my mum said "are you ok, you look like you've seen a ghost". When I told her I heard voices she took me to hospital.

I don't know if I heard angels, or my higher self or I was in such an extreme state of distress my mind conjured up the only thing it could that wouldn't make things worse.

I hope the kind voices stay with you and that you are able to find peace

That is the most beautiful story. You really must have been blessed by God.

Maybe because you felt safe at your family home the voices you heard mirrored that feeling.

Do you know what triggered the first voices you I heard that were distressing? 

I feel like my voices are worse because I cannot sleep. And I think the reason I cannot sleep is because I have alot of.suppressed emotions from not just what happened ten years back but also a childhood where I felt neglected and emotionally unmet by my mother as that Is when I stopped sleeping first.

My friend told me that if it's not diet and exercise that is assisting me to sleep then probably I need to express what I've held onto for so long. He said there are people who will facilitate that and hold space for you so you can feel safe enough to go into the deeper feelings.

He said you have to make a.concious choice that that's what you really want to do and then keep making that choice until the universe offers you an opportunity to do so.

Abuse takes away your sense of self and I definitely feel that in my own life, and the voices, many of them, continue that cycle of abuse and try to keep you In a constant state of stress so you can't heal, because if you healed there would no longer be a reason for the voices and that threatens their existence. 

I'm going to keep making the choice to feel again, what's trapped inside, and eventually the universe will have to respond.

Do you still hear voices? Did medication take them away for you or did they go away by themselves when you felt safe? I think that is a testament that the environment your in impacts the voices you hear.

Thanks for sharing.

Hello sorry to hear you have suffered so much. My neighbour who is a Christian like me suffered from hearing negative voices last year. He went to a Christian place called the Healing Rooms on the Gold Coast here & it was cured. Just thought this might help

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance