Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Natalie27
New Contributor

Help with Expressing Gratitude!

So ever since last February I've been meeting weekly with my Youth Support Coordinator at school. February last year my grandfather took his own life so ever since he's been talking me through my emotions of grief, family and school troubles. Grief became all too much for me to bare and at one stage and I started self harming with my own thoughts of suicide. I really owe it to this guy for standing by me in my darkest times. In the times I was never closest with my dad he made it feel like I could come to him and still do whenever I just need to talk, serious topic or not. When my class has parties or sometimes my teacher allows me to randomly bring in cake I always offer him some and I often write him lengthy letters expressing how grateful I am to have in my last few years of schooling and for his positive life talks. Buttt the thing is, this year is my last year, obviously the last year I'll see him too so I'm wanting to do something big and unique that he won't expect at all as he knows me quite well! I once sent an article with him featured in it to a local mental health magazine in the area in which he eventually found out about but even that didn't make him completely gobsmacked as like I said, he knows me and I sensed he was waiting for it, haha! Would love your help on ideas?! thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Help with Expressing Gratitude!

Hi there @Natalie27,

Wow that story really made me smile, it's lovely hear how supportive your Youth Support Coordinator was and how appreciative you are of them. Sending in an article to a Mental Health Magazine was such a thoughful and lovely thing to do to show that you are care, I was also thinking that a letter or card wriitng some of these things down would also be such a wonderful and lovely thing to do, I am sure he will treasure that, even though it's simple sometimes these things mean the most to people.

Also, a big warm welcome to the forums, I don't think I have met you before so Hiii!

Lunar 🙂

Re: Help with Expressing Gratitude!

Hi Lunar,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have written quite a few letters for him already. Never handwritten! So maybe this is something to try...If you think of anything else please do not hesitate to let me know! 🙂

Nat.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance