Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

florencefifty
Senior Contributor

Little (big) acts of kindness.

That title is cornier than Twisties, Jesus…

I had way too much coffee in the morning, and it was affecting my work, so I had a beer to cancel it out. It is not good logic to have, but it worked wonderfully.

The joys of drinking responsibly. You don’t need to shotgun a drink to enjoy it. And if you go a while between drinks, you don’t need a lot to make you feel it enough.

I didn’t go to a pub, I went to a nice cafe. The funny thing about this cafe is they serve Smiths Original Crinkle Cut chips with a lot of their orders. This bloke hands me my beer and a minute or so later, free chips appear on my table LOL.

It’s surprising how much little gestures like that stick with you. Who the hell gives out free chips LOL, that’s so cool.

Last week, my niece unfortunately had a seizure. It was extremely scary at the time, but apparently it’s not that big of a deal. It’s called a febrile seizure, which literally means “caused by a fever” of 38.5 or more. She was in a critical condition, but she’s made a full recovery.

When the ambulance arrived, the first thing they asked is “what’s her name?” She’s 15 months old, she can’t answer her name LOL. Same thing, when I called her dad and passed the phone to the ambo, he asked “what’s his name?” Very strange, but apparently this is a thing. Even when someone’s in cardiac arrest, they hate working on someone without being able to call their name when they wake up. Small detail, but it means a lot.

I had a massive mental health crisis in April and ran away from home. I left my phone behind at the airport, deliberately. When the airport staff found it, it was dead, and so they literally went to the effort of finding a matching charger and turning it back on in case someone called it. My family did call it, the staff answered and my sister drove to the airport to pick it up. They eventually found me obviously and that’s still my phone to this very day LOL.

It makes you more likely to make little acts of kindness yourself. I had a client today who mentioned off the cuff that she didn’t have her statements since last year. She didn’t ask for them, but I mailed them to her anyway. I hope she would remember that comment and appreciate it. TEENY tiny detail, but yeah.

I took the wrong bus home. It terminated earlier than I thought, and I admitted that I thought he was going to the station. The bus driver let me stay on while he went to the station anyway, which made it a LOT easier for me to get home, and write this thread!

If you feel like you want to do something, but write it off because “it’s only a little detail”, do it anyway. It can make a big difference.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Little (big) acts of kindness.

This was really nice to read @florencefifty, thanks for sharing 💜 I love hearing about small acts of kindness...and free chips haha

I'm really glad to hear your niece is ok, that would have been really scary! 

Hey @florencefifty 

Glad your niece has made a full recovery. I enjoyed reading your experiences, your post is also a small act of kindness, they do indeed make a big difference! 😊

RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS... goes a long way @florencefifty @Blackbird11 @Ilovepenguins 

Thank you for your post.

Something as small as checking in on someone can go a long way.

Love your gratitude and appreciation for the little things @florencefifty.

Keep shining x
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance