Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jake
Senior Contributor

Re: Lonliness

Hi Kristin,
Please excuse me if this reply does not work - this is an experiment, so I don't mind if the Administrators reply either way - I would like to try a 'text in text' reply, it helps me digest exactly what is being said so I can reply to each point and not the longer post as a whole.
Obviously for clarity, my replies below will be in orange.
@kristin wrote:

Hi Jake,

Thanks for sharing so honestly and courageously, excruciating to put out there - I hope there is also some relief for you in being able to be so candid.

No worries Kristin, one of my issues with relating to people is that they often wear 'masks' (some say we all do) and so it is hard to know if someone is 'real'. In my experience, I find that most people only relate on a shallow level and the truth often is hard for them to process. In other words, some people would rather entertain a non-truth that deal with reality. In reality I have been damaged by too many bad experiences, but also in reality I am having 'normal' reactions to abnormal events. I often wonder how the people who appear to 'have it all together' would have coped given my past life experiences.

I have bipolar, and my best friend (after many other diagnoses over the years) has DID, so I know a bit about both. As you say very hard things to live with (even without all the stigma). 

Thanks for being open, I hope you are coping as best can be. I have an acquaintance living near me who I think is bipolar, as he swings from mania to depressive episodes, but when I suggested counselling he became very defensive (you know - it's everyone else not him). I think DID was demonised by the media, do you remember the movie/book 'Sybil'? I don't know about 16 personalities, but I do relate very differently to different people, depending on how I am treated. For example - I have played in bands and am told that I am a good musician - yet I have never formally learnt music. Freaks me out as I often feel I am in the wrong body (does that make sense?).

I really relate to what you mention of your history, especially childhood. This sort of abuse and neglect (hard to say which is the more damaging, they are both horrendous) sets us up for a life-time of damage-control. "Blaming parents" is sometimes quite appropriate if they were utterly irresponsible and/or abusive, and yet that doesn't get us very far in living our lives, except perhaps to get out a bit of the anger occasionally (can you ever get rid of that?). We have to find ways to live, grow and find nurture for ourselves - and this can be such a long journey.

@'They' say early childhood trauma is the most damaging if it occurs at an early age - well I was put in a home @ 4, dad died @ 5, I was exposed to a religious cult @ 6, then again @ 10, where I was sexually abused, so being 'asked' to leave home @ 16 was a blessing in disguise! Poor mum was very sick then (paranoid schizophrenic) I did not know till much later on. So dad had a mental illness, mum had a mental illness, my step-dad had a mental illness and I have.................

I completely agree with you about how many people perceive us as if we are lepers and contagious. Yet we have far more strength, insight, and usually compassion than most "ordinary" people. Because we have to work on ourselves, otherwise we are lost. These are some of the "gifts" that can come out of the suffering. But if you can't connect with anyone because you are regarded as taboo then how to share this? It increases the isolation and loneliness when you know you have something to offer others and cannot.

Yes as I say to people who look at me as some kind of leper - where do you think I got my DSP - off the back of a cornflakes box??? I had years of therapy (my choice) to sort out my 'demons' and now I see people all around me with their own 'demons' yet are so into self denial it is not funny anymore. Credit goes to anyone here that has a 'label'.

I have been living here (rural area of Vic) for about 8 years, and I guess I am fairly lucky that my former partner spends most of his time with us (he also had a bp diagnosis for many years, but they changed their minds recently!) - we are no longer together but we are friends and mostly enjoy each other's company. It took me a very long time (about 6 years) to really start to connect with people like myself living nearby, thankfully I found others through a community art "class" which is really more art therapy.

I now realise that I am so damaged by my past, that it is better for me if I live alone. The feedback I get from people when I 'come'out' is usually how 'my behaviour affects them, never how much mental anguish I may be experiencing at the time. In fact I try to go out of my way to meet people's needs, without playing the 'rescuer'. Want to know something funny - I once asked a friend who is in an abusive relationship (she would deny this) what a 'boundry' was (psychologically speaking) and she had no idea! This is a person who has an answer to everything, except her own problems!

I wrote about some of the sanity found in people with mental illness in a reply elsewhere (Re: MAD [Mightily Anxious & Depressed] seeking any support) so I won't go on again here. The loneliness without having those essential human connections is suffocating. I hope you can find some close to home too, as well as here.

Well without wanting to debate the role religion plays in a persons life (I was brought up in 2 cults)  I have tried to get involved in churches, not only for the spiritual, but for the social aspect. I find that I don't play the game properly, I dare to open my mouth and express my opinion, which usually 'rocks the boat' to the people that want to laud it over me, so I end up leaving (I find avoidance works well if you are being emotionally abused - Lol!)

Take care!

Kind regards,

Kristin

Thanks for the feedback,

Kind regards, Jake

Hi Jake

I am so sorry for what you have been through in life.

I am one of nature's 'loners' although I have a loving husband and son (but no friends).  I try to behave in a friendly way, but my experiences are that 'friends' can be very shallow and I find it hard to trust them.  I have acquaintances.  You are right about masks.  The only people who really know me are me, my husband and my son.  I had a strange upbringing with a domineering mother, in an unloving home, and hence I have learned how to model myself around how I thought I should behave.  I had to learn how to show love.  I never felt I belonged anywhere and I'm a bit of a gypsy.

Whilst I have been a good friend at times to people, it turned out they only wanted something from me.  I call myself the 'unsocial butterfly' and feel very uncomfortable in social situations, parties etc.

From my narrow experience of meeting others with mental illness it would appear that we are a bunch of wounded souls.  Maybe, because of what we've been through and our deep understanding, we would make better and more supportive friends to each other.  We accept people as they are and don't judge.

I have bipolar - I have medication - I see a clinical psychologist, but at the end of the day I think that my damaged mind is constantly trying to make sense of my world and my brain is trying to oblige in a faltering way.

I am a nice person and I am a good person.  Nevertheless, other people must see me as some type of outcast because I have been constantly bullied throughout my life.  I am even going through another bout at the moment in my workplace.  I don't like it and I don't understand why some people get a buzz out of putting others down.

Believe me, I would prefer to be left alone.

Amber

I hear you Jake.  I got divorced, the ex does not let me have access to my kids and eventually this takes its toll. I am later diagnosed with depression after I could not concentrate in my executve role like I once did and I started feeling constantly sad. I tell my employer a few months later after I awoke one morning and felt I simply could not go to work. A month later I am made "redundant". This only added fuel to the fire so I sort comfort in people that I had considered to be close friends for the past 30+ years. All of a sudden I am not invited out, no one calls me and I pass each day with me myself and I. Telling people I had depression was in hindsight a massive mistake. People think medicine and talking to a therapist or psychiatrist about how much your life sucks can help but for me, after being used as a gunea pig by a psychiatrist for over year who gave me drugs that made me unusually aggressive (leading to an AVO being granted to my ex), loss of taste and blurry vision... I am not so sure. 

There are good people out there. And good shrinks. I've met the wrong people and had bad advice and bad shrinks and bad medication. Its just taken time and effort, when I've had them.

Dear Boink,

A terribly belated welcome - I hope somebody else bid you welcome at the time anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through. I would have replied earlier but I was hitting a quite unwell patch when you posted and had to back off with the forum for a while (I have a tendency to turn good things into "work" and then I get sick) so now I am taking it more slowly (interaction with others not work! Smiley Happy).

What you describe is an excruciating journey and all too common. Even the guinea pig analogy. Thanks for the gift of your blunt and courageous honesty.

I hope we hear from you again. I haven't seen you around lately (since I got back into the forum more regularly), but there are so many new people I am having trouble keeping up with who I've said hi to.

Kindest regards,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance