Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Billamba
Senior Contributor

Mental health act

Hi all,

How likely is your GP to enact the mental health act? 

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Mental health act

You become regulated under the mental health act, if you are at risk to yourself or others, or if you are non-compliant with medication. I take my medication everyday and I feel so blessed to have found a drug that helps keep me well. It is a drug with fewer extrapyramidals, and it is a life saver, straight from God's pharmacy. It, for the most part blocks out the voices and you can lead a normal. quality of life.I am a voluntary patient and not regulated and see my Doctor with my consent and I was discharged by the Government psychiatrist. But years ago when I did not take medication, I was put on an order, and forced to go on an injection that is stronger and had more side effects than the oral medicament. But now I faithfully take my medication without fail and I am much happier. And one of the side effects of my medication is euphoria and it relieves symptoms of depression. It took me years to find the right drug. Some people say it is like lolly water as it is not as strong as the other anti-psychotics. It is much milder and with less side effects than the other anti psychotics. I am happy now I finally found the right drug for me-

Hi @BambiFawn

Are you saying that if I don't take my meds I can have a 'mental health act' on me to enforce me to take my meds???  

Former-Member
Not applicable

Pretty damn likely if I he thinks it needs to be done.
I've had the mental health act pulled on me in the past. Not happy about it either.
Former-Member
Not applicable

If you break the law or if they think that you are at risk to yourself for not taking them - yes they can @BlueBay.
It's very very uncommon to happen unless you break the law or repeatedly put yourself or others at risk.

ya if u have a diagosed chronic mental illness, it is imperitive that you take your medication to help keep you well.
I was miserable off my medication, but since taking the anti-psychotic I am well and have a better quality of life.
Blood tests can tell if you take your medicament too.
All the very best to you dear BlueBay. Take good care.

@BambiFawn @Former-Member

I have recently stopped my night meds and I am worried that my GP will let my psych know.  My GP has warned me to go back on them and how important it is - but my head is telling me no, stay off them.

So then that means I could be put under a 'mental health act'

Former-Member
Not applicable

It's very very unlikely. @BlueBay, you really need to put yourself or others at risk or repeatedly break the law.
I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

Thanks for explaining it @Former-Member I understand it now.

BB 

Hi @BlueBay Smiley Happy

I can hear that you are worried about your GP telling your psychiatrist about not taking your night medication. Just wanted to check-in with you and see how you are feeling about this and to see if there was a reason that you didnt feel like taking the night meds anymore?

Chat to you soon Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance