Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MagicAnt
Senior Contributor

Not Major Depression, Bipolar II

Hey fellow forum followers,

I'd like to share my journey to my arrival at a diagnosis of Bipolar II.  I apologise in advance for my verbosity!

Other than tripping on my nappy and splitting my head open on the coffee table when I was about two years old, I can't remember much about my early life until I contracted viral encephalitis and spent my sixth birthday in hospital. After that, my school life alternated between achieving good marks, throwing tantrums, and holding up in my room doing nothing for hours and days on end.

After school, I was accepted into the Army, but that only lasted 18 months before i left to chase the first love of my life. That didn't last long either.

After 12 months of unemployment, I finally landed a full time job as a laboratory aide. The plan was to work there until I was accepted into the police force, but my manager offered me a traineeship to become a medical scientist when I told him I was leaving to join the police. It was a chance to study a university degree part time while I worked full time. It sounded like a good idea at the time, and so I accepted the offer.

The study lasted, but the job didn't - I was terminated after three years for not showing up to work for a couple of days after a workplace accident. I managed to find another laboratory traineeship, and held on to the job long enough to finish my degree.

After graduating, I was offered a role in the army as a Medical Scientist, and grabbed at it with both hands. After a couple of years back in the army, I was deployed overseas to work in an army field hospital. While there, I developed really bad headaches, and was referred to both a doctor and a psychologist. The psychologist suggested I was depressed, and in 1999, I was started on the first of many antidepressants. I remained on deployment, but after a particularly raucous New Year's Eve party, I was sent home facing a disciplinary hearing.

I scraped through the disciplinary hearing, only to be medically discharged from the army a year or two later with no compensation and no ongoing medical support. I continued civilian treatment for my major depression, but none of the antidepressants ever seemed to keep me grounded. As such, I always found myself getting in to some sort of trouble at work, and bounced from job to job every two to three years.

I have held my current job for almost six years (my career ambition is to stay at a job long enough to earn long service leave!), but I have been given several 'final warnings' about my workplace behaviour. My general practitioner has done a fantastic job at managing my depression, but I always felt that there was something more than just depression plaguing me. I asked my doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist, and last year, after 16 years of treatment for major depression and five different antidepressants, I was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder within 20 minutes of my first psychiatrist consultation.

In the past, I had only ever sought medical advice when I felt down, but never when I felt what I now know as hypomanic. I always felt that my grand ideas, excessive gambling, unchecked spending, drug taking, and extramarital sex was just part of who I was, but another part of me kept telling me that "normal" people don't do those sorts of things. After the gambling, spending, and sex, I would feel guilty, and start spiralling down into depression. There were periods of "normality", but they never lasted.

This year, I spent a few weeks in a mental health clinic, had my medications reviewed, attended behavioural workshops, and really thought I had started to get things under control. Then the urge to visit the seedier side of the internet and take drugs crept back in. I knew exactly what it meant - they are some of my red flags - but chose to ignore them. With the high comes the low: I have been off work for almost two weeks, constantly on the verge of tears, and worried about my return to work next week.

This time around though, there is a huge complication: I recently got back in touch with that girl I knew in the army over 25 years ago. She is recently divorced (I didn't even know she was married), and it has made me question everything about my own marriage, where my life has been, and where it is going. My wife has been a huge support with my mental illness, but I can't help but feel that now might be the time to change my life for the better, knowing that marriage might not be right for me.

Part of me knows that I shouldn't be making any huge life decisions right now, but I have become more or less obsessed with my ex-girlfriend - and part of me also knows that might also be just a symptom of my illness.

Now that you've read my autobiography, is there anyone out there who has been in a situation like this? Is it a symptom, or is it, dare I say, fate?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Not Major Depression, Bipolar II

Hi @MagicAnt

Welcome to the Forums 🙂 

It's great that you finally got a helpful diagnosis!

It sounds like this is a big decision - which needs time and consideration.

I can't answer if it's a symptom or not - but it's great that you're looking at it from all perspectives. 

There are a fair few members here who have a diagnosis of bipolar, so I will let them chime in with their own experiences and thoughts on the matter.

Did you have any thoughts or concerns for your marriage before this person came back into your life?

Hi @NikNik, and thanks for reading my post.  In answer to your question, yes, there have been times when I have felt my life would have been very different, even much richer, if I had not married my wife.  There have also been a few hiccups and speed bumps in my marriage over the years (obviously, my MI and some problems of my wife's doing), and I have sometimes felt that we have stayed together because the alternative is just too hard.  My biggest regret is that we never had children (due to medical reasons), and this has always created some tension.

i'm not looking to make any decisions just now, but part of me wants to reconnect with this girl down the track to see if there is any spark there.  I know that sounds dreadfully cruel to my wife, but the desire has been all-consuming over the past week.  For now, I will let things pass, and reassess how I feel in a few months.

Love the one your with. She has been supportive and loving don't throw that away.

Thanks @esprit, I know your advice is right.  Things have become a lot clearer for me this afternoon.  It is just so hard to think rationally when your brain is firing so irrationally.  Have a great weekend!

I have bipolar 1 @MagicAnt. If I were in your situation I'd have loud alarm bells ringing and red flags everywhere. It would certainly be a dangerous sign/symptom for me.

Thanks @Kurra, my racing thoughts have eased somewhat throughout today, and I am gaining a better perspective on the whole situation.  I am hoping I will be able to sleep a bit easier tonight.

Have a great weekend.

Hi there @Kurra@esprit, and @NikNik, and everyone else on the forums!

I hope you are all well!  I just thought I'd provide a quick update on where I'm at.  I managed to get back to work two weeks ago, but looking back, I was on auto-pilot and perhaps should have taken more time off.  I did some travelling for work, and on one of those trips, it suddenly dawned on me that I was unwell, very unwell.  Just like that - click - dude, your head is not right!

I got an appointment to see my regular GP, and a referral to a new psychiatrist for a full review in about a weeks' time.  With that appointment made and a little tweak of my medication, I am feeling a whole lot more positive.  As for my pining for my long lost first love - well, she has jetted off on a two month holiday to Europe, which I think will give me the just time I need to get my head right.  

A special thank-you to you @Kurra, who pointed out the alarm signals and red flags.  Looking back, I was in the middle of my most severe manic episode to date, and your advice was the little voice of reason in the back of my mind which kept me from making any decisions that I would have no doubt later regretted.

Thank-you everyone, and I hope you are all having a great weekend!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance