Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Reaching out..

Thanks @Bc2ast for sharing your expeirence. It seems like you have come so far.

It sounds like you're really self aware and when certain symptoms pop up you know that's a sign.

May I ask what you do when those symtoms pop up - how do you take care of yourself?

Re: Reaching out..

When there may be signs of Symptoms.

It's simple but not easy.

ensure sleep.

remain connected. Not become isolated. 

Distract myself from certain tracks of thoughts. 

I don't indulge in much self reflection. I don't trust my thoughts when heading into certain patterns. If thinking becomes one tracked and based on a certain narrative, I do something else. An activity that keeps me in the moment. Not TV. Anything active. Playing an instrument, gardening, art, going out with friends(sometimes I had to force myself, rarely regretted).

eat well.

exercise!

For me I did Some meditation or tai chi. Not too much! Can be a trigger. A big one for me but balanced is real good. Not get involved with the esoteric aspects, that type of thinking could spiral into a trigger. Think of it very pragmatically. Now I do harder (more physical) Martial type practice mostly.

Exercise again. 

Do something new with new people. People who are well balanced.

It took years to train my thoughts. Over ten years and still I had two more episodes. But the recovery is quicker each time, though the psychosis is just as acute. And I trust when I can take myself off the meds too( though I don't endorse this for others). I do keep a stash at the start and I would catch myself and know when to take it. This may last 3 months since the months of doctor prescribed dosages. Only a couple here and there, mainly for thoughts or when sleeping was an issue, due to thoughts.

I once asked the CAT team how they can tell I was really psychotic. Friends and colleagues were pretty good at making out I was faking or "weak minded"," that I just need to harden up", or they felt at times they were a bit psychotic just like me. So I asked. They said they knew because if they, or anyone else was on the medication doses they had me on they would sleep for a week! The fact I could stay awake (and didn't really sleep much at all in the early medicated stages) means the medication had a lot to work on. Weeks past, I start sleeping scarily heavy, and long, even as they reduce the dose. So the explanation they gave seemed to be confirmed. 

Thats a start I think. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance