Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Relationship between trauma & other MI diagnoses

@kristin thanks for your kind words and for sharing those links. It was interesting to read. The ex-vet discribed feelings that I could so relate. Similar feelings but totally different circumstances. Guess the affects of trauma are

Hi Rick and all on this thread

I have been reading all the links and have got quite a lot from them and all your experience. 

On good days I aways try to look to the future in a positive way, but the days that are the worst is when I can't block out the pain it just seems to hard to operate and hold down pressure job and maintain relationships. I just want to crawl away somewhere and hide. 

It's the pages here that help as I realized that I am no alone and there are others that keep going and have it much harder than me. Thank s again .

one step one day at a time

Scorpion

@SCORPION 

I think It's safe to say Scorpion that we feel the same way about you.  

I hope you are having a good day today, 

Hope endures

Rick

-

Hey @SCORPION 

So glad this has been helpful/encouraging to you. You are not alone.

Physical pain makes the MI aspects of PTSD worse, and vice versa - it is a negative feedback loop. So whatever you can do consciously and proactively at any point to help you improve these things will be a step forward, albeit probably painful. As PTSD makes change painful. One of our inherent human reactions to pain is to try to avoid it.

And please don't use comparisons to minimise what you are suffering (I hope I am mis-reading you). We all have our different loads to carry - in my experience it doesn't help to compare burdens :).

One step at a time indeed!

Hope does endearingly endure

Kindest regards,

Kristin

Hi @Former-Member 

Thanks for this - for the courage and honesty to expose your pain in this way. I'm so sorry you have suffered all this. It is horrendous and it doesn't seem to matter how much I read/hear it never ceases to shock me. I guess that's a good sign, as it is shocking. BTW about your bias - it's one we share.

Thanks also for all your thoughful suggestions/tips of what has been helpful to you. I will check them out. 

I have started reading Wayne Muller's Legacy of the Heart (The Spiritual Advantages of a Painful Childhood). I am finding it very helpful, and much of what he says thus far (I'm halfway through) resonates with my own experiences. He also has some lovely mindfulness exercises in each chapter. I am looking forward to trying these when my kids are back at school - then I will have space to cry when I need to, which I do need. In the meantime I'm just doing the best I can to hold the grief gently.

Kindest regards,

Kristin

PS You might find this thread on the carer's forum of interest re heredity vs environment

Dear all on this thread

I have just found a couple more things which might be helpful/affirming in our struggles with PTSD

Firstly this blog post on C-PTSD and emotional dissociation

Secondly this email - sorry I will need to copy/paste as I cannot find it on the website

"
You and I both know that trauma affects the brain. Science supports what we as survivors have already experienced. Yet, I bet you still hear people say:
  • “PTSD isn’t real; it’s all in your head”
  • “Just get over it already!”
  • “Only veterans get PTSD”
I speak all over the country about PTSD symptoms and recovery. Inevitably, whether it’s before the presentation has started or after it has finished, someone addresses me to say some variation of one of those three things (on a really awful day, all three!).

Why don’t people “get” what it means to struggle with PTSD?

Essential PTSD Information

As a PTSD survivor I hated those comments while I was in recovery. They made me feel powerless, invalidated, stupid, pathetic and as if people believed I was actually choosing to feel as miserable as I did.

Now, as a healing professional I make it a point to educate everyone I meet about what symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder are, where they come from and what can make them go away. More than that, I like to dive deep below the surface of the science I shared with you in my last note to really get into what happens in the brain and how it creates the symptoms you experience.

How Trauma Affects the Brain

Today, I want to share with you some in-depth information that will change how you see your symptoms and let you know for sure that they are a function of your neurobiology. These are important facts that every survivor should know – and share with those who don’t understand:

Fact #1:

During trauma your amygdala (an almond-shaped mass located deep in your inner your brain) is responsible for emotions and actions motivated by survival needs. In threatening situations it:
  • increases your arousal and autonomic responses associated with fear
  • activates the release of stress hormones
  • engages your emotional response
  • decides what memories are stored and where they should be placed around the cortex
  • applies feeling, tone and emotional charge to memory (including the creation of ‘flashbulb memory’: when strong emotional content remains connected to a visceral experience of fear or threat.)
Your amygdala tunes to dominant experiences. The fear induced by trauma makes a deep imprint on your amygdala and hypersensitizes it to danger, which makes it seek threat everywhere. In some PTSD cases, the amygdala has actually been shown to enlarge through excessive use. (In healing, this change often reverses.)

Fact #2:

Adjacent to the amygdala the hippocampus is responsible for the formation, organization, storage and retrieval of memories. Technically, it converts them from short-term to long-term, sending them to the appropriate parts of your outer brain for storage.

Trauma, however, hijacks this process: the hippocampus is prevented from transforming the memories and so those memories remain in an activated, short-term status. This stops the memories from being properly integrated so that their effects diminish. In some cases when the hippocampus’ function is suppressed it has been shown to shrink. (In healing this change often reverses, too.)

Fact #3

Lastly, the prefrontal cortex (located in the front, outer most layer of your brain) contributes two important elements of recall:

Your left frontal lobe specializes in storing memories of individual events; your right frontal lobe specializes in extracting a theme or main point from a series of events.

After trauma a few things can occur:
  • your lower brain processes responsible for instinct and emotion override the inhibitory strength of the cortex so that the cortex cannot properly stop inappropriate reactions or refocus your attention
  • blood flow to the left prefrontal lobe can decrease, so you have less ability for language, memory and other left lobe functions.
  • blood flow to your right prefrontal lobe can increase, so you experience more sorrow, sadness and anger
There are many reasons why we know PTSD is not “all in your head”, and why you can’t “just get over it”. With the facts offered above I’m hoping you can start a conversation with yourself and others that recognized the proof of what you and I know to be true: if PTSD were easy to heal from, you would have done it yesterday. Since it isn’t, respect must be paid and support given.

You have enormous healing potential; the goal is learning to access it. You can do this. Dig deep.

I believe in you!

Michele Rosenthal"

And this page from her website is very affirming, I think it pretty much sums up what we know from our own and shared experiences.

Kind regards,

Kristin

-

-

@kristin i totally agree with Seuss, you are wonderfully supportive and the info you have resourced and shared is so very helpful. Thank you i am very grateful. ♢♢♢

Thanks @peace & @Former-Member for the feedback, I really appreciate it Woman Happy

I also found this today whilst "surfing" - on trauma and general psychiatry's steadfast ignorance of it. Bessel van der Kolk is one the world's leading trauma researchers.  

And another one on somatic (body) memories.

I thought @kato  @Rick @kenny66 & @Aonaran might be interested in them too.

Kind regards, 

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance