Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

natureoflife
Senior Contributor

School work is stressful

I am so behind in my study it isn't funny and I'm not sure what to do anymore I'm getting more and more upset.
I have never missed a due date until now. I was sick in hospital and have just missed a lot of school as I have been sick and yeah. My school is really understanding but that doesn't help my stress. What do I di

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: School work is stressful

Hi @natureoflife

I get very stressed with myself and usually pressure myself into another level of stress when im behind or think/feel that im failing something somehow which then shuts me down further and leaves me feeling powerless and overwhelmed. When i can make myself stop and look around a bit, and take a break somehow i can sometimes start to take back some control over things. I make lists in order of priority with waht needs to be done and by when. I will email my boss and say that something is going to be handed in late (i cringe at this, but she has never actually cared and has always been supportive!). A lot of the time it's my own worries adding to things, but stepping back enough to be able to work out how to take control back is probably the key for me... 

Do you have a school counsellor or year level coordinator (are you in high school or tafe/uni?) who you could see about getting some extra support to make up missed time and extensions for work that is due? Or maybe it would be possible to take a break and redo? There may be other options too, but try to be kind to yourself while you work it out.. you are 'only' human and everyone goes through stuff and needs support to keep up/manage with things like study,

(what are you studying? if you can say ;))

Take care

@Former-Member I have talked to my school counsellor she is really good. My school is really supportive or it. I just feel stressed because I'm so far behind I have extensions and exemptions but I'm still behind. I'm currently in year 11 and two of my subjects I hate it yeah. And I also do I hard subject online which doesn't help.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @natureoflife year 11 is probably the toughest year of school, its a massive step up from year 10 and its the first year of being really responsible for a lot of your own learning, plus its starting to 'matter' more i guess if that makes sense! I'm glad your school is really supportive. Would you be able to look at getting a tutor to help you with catching up a bit and homework etc. Online study can be hard too i know. If you did do less subjects this year this is always the option of doing year 12 over two years if you wanted (and catch up on a subject or two from year 11 next year). This may take the pressure off a little bit possibly, but you may also be able to catch up anyway with the support of your school and extensions/exemptions in place already. mostly jsut be kind to yourself and realistic on what you can do maybe with your school you can set up a study plan to make sure you're working towards what you want to achieve.

Hi @natureoflife,

@Former-Member has posted some great ideas on how you could possibly manage your school stress and like lisajane said its really awesome that your school is so supportive.

Do you have supports outside your school that you could lean on to help you? Family, counsellor, therapist, friends?

There are a few lovely areas in the forums I thought you may like:

@Former-Member started a great thread about making a fun planning calander here, this could possibly help you work on your due dates without feeling as stressed? Also some of our regular forumites have started a Walking for Wellbeing thread which encourages everyone to spend some time out from daily stress and to walk and connect with nature which can help!

Lastly, why dont you pop in to the I will... thread and leave yourself a small goal to start with and let us all keep encouraging you towards it Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance