Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

PrincesBlobs
New Contributor

Tired of the journey

Please note: mentions of suicidal thoughts but I am safe and have supports in place. 

Diagnosed with PTSD, depression, anxiety, panic disorder, ptsd & C-PTSD

In my early 30’s now: rough childhood, emotionally disturbing experiences, continuous bullying, moved countries, cross cultural pressures and pain, raised in poverty and was a particularly defiant teenager with addiction and mental health issues. Self harm and suicide were constant companions. I eventually became homeless. 

With support from an agency I studied, got a traineeship, got a great job, fell in love, worked on my personal issues and mental health, reconnected with family etc…

Flash forward a decade and the work environment became toxic. 6 months of relentless & targeted bullying (emotional and physical) and suddenly it all came back. Along with something different, panic attacks, severe depression, constant fear and hyper-vigilance. 

Workers comp has seen me try every medication, provided me a bipolar diagnosis and many others. I experienced a medication induced psychotic episode. The medication experience has been bad. Very very bad. I have every doctor available to me and I am so lucky for this. I ceased medication 8 months ago and it’s made an incredibly positive difference but…

I am not the same person I was and I am ashamed. I am tired of working every day to simply get out of bed. To fight through compo. To eat. To drive. To answer a phone. I’ve lost the person I love during this. And struggled to move. I am lonely having lost my friends to what happened at work or during my episode. I am tired. I have thoughts of suicide but strong coping skills and supports in place. 

sometimes I am so angry for what happened in that 6 months at work because it wasn’t fair and I am so profoundly affected by it. 

I wanted to share this to not feel alone. I’m looking for some kind words of encouragement and understanding. I am looking for anyone who has a similar story. I am okay. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Tired of the journey

• My heart goes out to you.
    Similar situation. This past year has destroyed my life. I too fantasise about suicide. How easy it would be. But, I think how much heartache that will cause and I try to hold on. I call some helplines late at night when the panic hits hard.
    I have found some relief through guided meditation on YouTube. Sit in the bottom of the shower.
    Life is dealing with problems with moments of joy in between.
    I have lost my health, wealth, lover, home and sanity. I too feel like a shell of my former self.
    But, I prey and have hope. Find joy in tiny places each day.

@Fairladyzx thank you so much for your reply. I knew I wanted to hear from people in similar situations but I didn’t expect how it would make me feel. Somehow, sad, glad but connected, heard and understood. Just, thank you. I hear you re: helplines and I’ve been considering meditation. I have a range of things depending, sometimes diy/ reading/ guitar, sometimes helplines, reaching out to my sister who moved in to help care for me. It feels like survival some days. And the loss of home, heart, mind & soul… I prey too. And seek out those little happy moments. Thank you for helping me feel less alone in this experience.

No need to thank me.

I wish people were more honest about their situations vs hiding behind a mask. 

Sometimes a shared story is the key to someone's prison. 

We all need someone when our world is crumbling around us.

Just one moment at a time. 

From one aching soul to another - I hear you, I feel you, I emphasise ❤️

Welcome, @PrincesBlobs , I'm just so sorry for the suffering you have endured all your life 💔

Please don't be ashamed for just doing what you need to survive - I know, easier said than done. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

Please take care as you are a valuable human being. 

Hi @PrincesBlobs 

Sounds like things have been a bit of a rollercoaster. My partner is currently working at a place with a pretty toxic work environment and I worry about him. He just doesn't seem like himself anymore. It can happen to anyone, so I hope you're taking steps to look after yourself.

Thoughts of suicide is serious - is there someone you have been able to talk about this to? I know you said that medication you tried was really bad, but do you think maybe you could see a doctor about trying something else? I had a couple of really bad episodes after trying a particular med but now I'm on something else that is ok. Or maybe you can get some sessions with a psychologist?

Sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time, if things get really bad just remember help is available!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance