Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: 🐦Bird 🐦Therapy🐦

@Shaz51 - I love watching the Magpies that visit our yard. They are characters.
I had some Cockies visit my Loquat tree yesterday. They didn't eat any. Just checking for when they'll be nice and ripe - then the flock will come en mass and feast.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Wish you had birds @Shaz51, but as Utopi describes so well, the wild life is locely too. I have yellow head parrots I feed & sometimes king parrots visit, love watching them in flight.

That sounds really nice @Shaz51

I don't have wild birds much(except feral pigeons) in my yard.

Although wattlebirds & small honeyeaters are attracted to my Grevillea & Banksia flowers, that's nice to see.

They don't sing, so I keep my own bird-singing chorus (in the aviaries & inside)...

Adg

Hi @Former-Member I tried to work out how to do that screenshot thingy (for the photos), but I just couldn't do it. I'm rather techno-challenged recently.

Yes I like unusual coloured birds. The orange canaries are a bit hard to find, but I've been lucky recently - they don't cost any more than ordinary canaries.

I usually go for brown-winged canaries, or ones with brown faces (& yellow or orange bodies). They look more striking & prettier (to me) than the solid yellow canary birds.

Yes my Bourkes do need more space, but I don't want to put the Budgies inside with my Cockatiels (the 2 Weiros might not like it). So I shall need to work something out.

No it's not worth my while ever selling any. You usually get less than a quarter 1/4 price of what it costs to buy most birds - & I don't as often have breeding success with most of my birds these days.

About 7 years ago I had 30 Zebra finches (bred up from 6). They don't live many years, & I now have only about 8 - because they haven't had many baby zebras recently.

I put several new nest boxes in, & they seem happy with those.

Most finch species need live food (insects) in order to breed at all. Zebra finches are one of the few finch types that will breed whilst just eating seed (without live food).

Adge

Former-Member
Not applicable

Interesting @Adge, have to remember all these little tips. Its nice ☺

hello @Adge, @Former-Member, @utopia

yes we have pigeons, Willy wagtails , parrots , peewee , mynda birds, Ibis in the yard

and small honeyeaters 

Ibis @Shaz51 Nice, I'm impressed.

I like Ibises - although the groundsmen used to chase all the Ibises off the golf course, when I was the gardener there...

Adge

We have 3 different types of Wrens, Large Wattle birds, crows, magpies, Cockies. Minor birds. And occasionally sometimes a new type of bird I haven't seen before.
I love how I can identify a number of birds now from their song alone.

Ya dear @Shaz51, I love the Australian birds.  The Australian parrots are especially colourful.  

Blessings Shaz. 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

IMG_20171117_091938.png

How gorgeous is this little fella ☺

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance