Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

May23
Senior Contributor

Broken and Lost

I feel broken ALL of the time. My family not only don't understand me or my mental issues but are so oblivious that they don't recognise how hurtful the "passing" comments they make are. 

I drove to my parents place 5hrs away through great pain and stress (I have physical issues as well as suffering from anxiety and depression) but it's still not good enough for my family 😔 😞 😢

My sister takes every opportunity to push my trigger buttons when we gather as a group, yet my reaction is always over the top according to the rest of my family. It doesn't seem to matter what I do it's never enough. They either treat me like I'm so fragile I will break or mock me for being "sensitive". I can't win.

Tonight I had a full blown panic attack following an attack from my sister. I was made to feel stupid and ashamed. I escaped outside as I felt I was suffocating. I fell and couldn't get up. It took almost an hour for mum to come find me. Since then I have been ignored while everyone else has carried on drinking and enjoying themselves as if i don't exist. 

Will they ever understand me??????

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Broken and Lost

Hi @May23 , I am so sorry your family just don't seem to understand how "real" this is for you. Families can be unforgiving at times and down right mean. I wish I had some amazong words of advice but sadly I don't. My family is similar to yours so I feel for you. Wishing you a calm Sunday

Hello....I have had many problems with my family(only siblings are alive) as well.I distanced myself from a couple of them,remembering what a psychologist said to me many years ago,and that was: remove 'toxic' people from your life...they will literally make you sick or sicker! They may appreciate you a bit more but I doubt it! Remember you were born to them,you didn't CHOOSE  them....recently I have had more trouble from other siblings and have stopped contact....I feel much more relaxed and happy without them poisoning my life.💚

I forgot to add that after molestation by my brother from when I was a toddler,on and off,until I was about 9,I have had a life of depression and anxiety and was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and PTSD from being attacked by a man when I was 16.I am now 59 and am finally putting me and my health first.Please remember there are many other lovely people out there that you can connect with.Don't let your family ruin your health and your life.You have enough to deal with already with your illnesses.I find my crafting helps me a lot.Take care of YOU.xx

Hey there @Foreverstress59

I'm one of the moderators. I just wanted to say welcome to the forums. It's really brave to reach out and to tell the community a bit about yourself. It's so good to hear you are starting to put your wellbeing at the forefront. I hope you find lots of support and connection here. Please ask the moderators or members any questions you have while you're getting used to the forums, and it can be good to have a read of the Guidelines to get a sense of how it all works. See you around 😊  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance