Skip to main content
MarronButterFly
Senior Contributor

How do I best support my best friends

I have two best friends who are going through some things and I just want to know how I could best support them and be there for them as some who also come from a place of struggle with my own mental health 

one on my friends is struggling with grief as her uncle just passed and she’s not in a great place at them moment and I really want to be there for her as best I can 

and my other friend has been struggling similarly to me and she’s shared with me that she’s tried taking her own life before and I just want to be there for her too and is there away to tell her that I’ve been in a similar situation with causing any issues with her I don’t know the best way possible for all of this any help would be great thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do I best support my best friends

Hey @MarronButterFly ,

It depends on what sort of support you are able to give them. It's about being able to protect yourself while supporting your friends.

Sometimes, it's about just letting them know you are there.

Other times it might be chatting through challenges with them or referring them to relevant services.

What sort of support are you comfortable providing?

Hi @MarronButterFly 

That must be so hard, I am sorry ❤️

As @tyme suggested, there are different ways in which you can support your friends.

I think the best thing to do is ask how they would like to be supported?

Most people just want someone to sit with them and listen. 

Hi @MarronButterFly,

Thank you for sharing… I am sorry that your friends are going through so much and that it is weighing so heavily on you. It shows what a lovely friend you are, and they are very lucky to have you.

As mentioned previously by @tyme and @lavenderhaze, just being there and holding space for them is such a big way to show your support.

Just in case you are looking for some resources, I found these that may be of some use to you.

And remember to look after yourself in all of this, as we “can't pour from an empty cup”…

I hope that you all find the support that you need.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

defaultusername