Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TheJuZShoW
Senior Contributor

A good night's sleep

I found the key to having a pretty decent night's sleep. May not work for everyone. But good to try.

1. Find ways to use up your energy. 
  2. Go to bed later. I recently decided that 11pm works well for me so I am not awake in the middle of the night.
  3. Drink 1 to 2 cups of Chamomile tea beforehand. This also could help reduce depression, anxiety according to some online research. I found that this also helps me remember my dreams. Works pretty good for me.
  4. Avoid alcohol. It's also a depressant and can interrupt the sleep cycle in the long run. 
  5. Go to your GP and get some advice and see what medications are out there.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A good night's sleep

Hi @TheJuZShoW 

Thanks very much for posting the advice on sleep. It’s very much appreciated especially since I am having trouble with sleep at the moment. Another bit of advice I would like to offer is before going to sleep, write down any worries or anxieties you may be having so they don’t interrupt your sleep. Also, doing meditation or listening to calming music via an app or on your phone/music player can also help. I find when I can’t sleep, having a warm bath or shower with some lavender shower/bath oils can help to relax me and assist with sleep as well. Again, these are just some of the things I do to help me with sleep. Melatonin in a tablet form is also known to help along with circadian (I think that’s what it’s called) as well. 

I hope others can offer their tips and promote a great discussion thread on this very interesting yet important topic.

Judi9877☺️💐

Yeah! there is something about going to bed clean that help! Reminds me to go back to Glen Harold's self hypnosis audio so I don't get too dependent on the other stuff.

Oh boy, getting a good night’s sleep has been something of a struggle for me at various times through the years & I love this conversation starter @TheJuZShoW .

I do find if I go for a long walk at some time through the day it can help so I can relate with what you say about using up your energy.
I couldn’t drink that much tea b4 bed though as I’d be visiting the bathroom all night 🤣, but I love that, it works for you. 

I have become to rely on & love mind you, a meditation track specifically to help with sleep @Judi9877 and have found this really helpful & use it every night.

I have also come to love using an eye mask & ear plugs as my sensory world is rather heightened & blocking out light & noise really helps me from waking to those things through the night.

I think so many people have difficulties with sleep & the newish term of ‘sleep hygiene’ can also be explored with a Dr or other various supports. Also makes me think of the issue of sleep apnea which can be useful to get info about if appropriate with a GP. 

Wishing we all get a good night’s sleep tonight 😴 @TheJuZShoW @Judi9877 

Have tried a lot of different things.. of the non-prescription pharmaceuticals:

1. Melatonin has worked ok in the past or Tart Cherry - but it makes me depressed the next day so don't take it anymore..

2. GABA is really good, but it can give you prickly sensation all over for a few minutes while it starts working..

3. Glycine has worked quite well too.. combining it with GABA is a good combination.

4. Theanine (extracted from green tea) is great.. taken with GABA it will enhance the relaxation effect.

5. If I am desperate, then OTC anti-histamines will get me over the line..

There are a few other supporting supplements, but these are probably the ones I have found to be central to whatever else you do.. (obviously apart from prescription meds, which are much stronger)

My personal opinion is that if your brain and nervous system are not in great shape, then you just aren't going to be able to sleep well.. no matter what you do..

Thank you for these great tips @RandleMcMurphy @TheJuZShoW 

I need to get back into the habit of more natural methods rather than relying on my bedtime meds.

I’m with you @flybluebird …more than one cup of tea and I’ll be racing you to the bathroom.

I have a mindfulness reminder on my watch at 10pm which is my cue to start winding down.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance