Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

GM3
New Contributor

Antenatal Anxiety

Im 33 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with anxiety. 

I have had a lot of unfortunate events and stressful life changes in the past 2 months that have increased my level of panic attacks to an almost daily level. I feel so low and down on myself all the time and then get angry because i feel my emotions are negatively impacting my baby. I have tried to get referals from my doctor and midwife to get help but they are either super expensive (unfortunately my financial situation is not great) or have long waiting lists. I just need a little support now form someone. Anyone who has been through this and found some useful techniques id love to hear what you did. Im so lost and stuck.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Antenatal Anxiety

Hi 👋 @GM3,

I haven’t experienced anti-natal anxiety but I know of an organisation that may help you for free. 
They are called PANDA and I’ve copied and pasted their intro for you. PANDA has had sessions on this forums in the past but I’m not sure of anything currently. Just tagging @PANDA 

PANDA - Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia supports women, men and families across Australia affected by anxiety and depression during pregnancy and in the first year of parenthood. PANDA operates Australia’s only National Helpline for individuals and their families to recover from perinatal anxiety and depression, a serious illness that affects up to one in five expecting or new mums and one in ten expecting or new dads.
https://www.panda.org.au/

I know they’ve been helpful in the past. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and your baby when they arrive. 💜😊

Hey @Teej , thanks for sharing that resource! 

@GM3 , it must be so challenging for you at the moment. Having someone to talk to will definitely be helpful, whether it be with a professional or with family/friends. 

Your concerns are only so real - it seems like the more anxious you are about feeling anxious, the more stressful it is for you - and your baby.

Please know that SANE offers free services including webchat or phone. Feel free to have a look at Peer Worker Services or Counselling Services .

I encourage you to continue reaching out on the forums too if you think it will help.

All the best!

tyme

Hi @GM3 

I have experienced both antenatal anxiety and postnatal anxiety and depression to varying degrees with both of my pregnancies, so I can empathise with your situation. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It can be difficult to reach out and I appreciate your honesty. It’s a huge, life changing experience you’re going through and I’m hearing that you’ve had many other things happening as well. It’s understandable you’re feeling anxious and low, not to mention all the hormones that are firing around!

I think it’s normal to feel angry or scared that your emotions are impacting your unborn baby. It shows you’re already a great Mum because you care so deeply. I can see you’ve asked for help from your GP and midwife, which is really great! Were you able to set up the Medicare subsidised sessions? Depending on what type of care you’re doing, your public hospital should also have a psychologist on site that you can access, even if just for some guidance. Do you have much of a personal support network around you?

Some people have mentioned PANDA who are fantastic. There’s also Gidget Foundation, they have a few different options.

I found mindfulness/meditation to be really helpful during my pregnancies and I’m someone who struggles a bit with this in my usual state, I was somehow able to tap into it during pregnancy.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get the support you need.

Paperdaisy 💝

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance