Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Dancing for Mental Health (Boogie for the Soul)

Hey Forumites! I wanted to start up a lil topic about the amazing power of dance and movement for mental health. Dancing is as old as human beings, we’ve always had music and dance as unique ways of expressing ourselves, connecting to one another, and as part of rituals and spirituality. I truly believe it is an activity that connects us to something higher, to each other, and to our own souls.

Dancing has become a staple part of my self-care, incorporating both movement and creative expression into one. So, I wanted to talk a bit about my journey with it and see what dance means to everyone, and whether we can all think of ways to have more dancing in our lives!

When I was younger (and still incredibly insecure), dancing didn’t really mean much to me. It was just something that some people trained to do with very specific types of dance, or else it was what people did at nightclubs to attract a partner. I used to go clubbing a lot when I first left home and was always so shy and really didn’t know how to move my body. I tried copying others, but never really felt comfortable swinging my hips around or ‘dropping it low’ like I saw others doing.

When I moved to Naarm, I started to attend more festivals with the new friends I had met down here. These new friends were there for the music, the connection, and the atmosphere. I really love electronic music, and let me tell ya, being at a big stage where everyone in the crowd is dancing in unison is a singular experience. The energy is palpable, and everyone there was dancing for something I’d never danced for before – fun.

I began to truly let loose, flinging my arms around with reckless abandon, stomping my feet – heck I probably look like I’m possessed sometimes! But the key was learning to move in ways that felt good, instead of caring how I looked to others. I don’t care if I’m not a good dancer, I just care about how it makes me feel!

Soon, the dance floor became a place where I could literally boogie my troubles away. After a solid session of cutting shapes on a dance floor, I always feel like my soul has been rinsed and wrung out, in a very good way. Nowadays, whenever I feel like I’m getting stuck, bogged down, melancholy, or otherwise overwhelmed by life, I know that a few hours on a dance floor throwing my body around like a fish outta water is an excellent way to shake off the cobwebs and remind myself of the things that make me feel alive.

I also dance at home, alone in my living room. It’s an excellent way to get in a bit of exercise and brings me no small amount of joy. I began to incorporate it into my self-care toolkit as both a way to get some exercise into my day, and a way to move energy through my body and shed anything that feels like it’s bogging me down. I even have a visualisation method I use with my dancing when I am especially keen on dealing with heavy thoughts/feelings: I visualise my stress as energy, and dance in a way that symbolises moving said energy out of my body and into a ball of energy in my hands. Then I throw and spin the ball around my body, sweeping it around and collecting all the ick vibes before hurling it out of me, into the abyss. Give it a try sometime!

SO I wanna know, forums fam:

How often do you dance?

What’s your favourite type of music to dance to?

When was the last time you danced with someone else?

Tagging a few peeps, and do feel free to tag anyone else you think might be interested! 

@Shaz51 @Birdofparadise8 @ArraDreaming @creative_writer @Bow@Snowie @tyme @amber22 @fluffylight @outlander 

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Dancing for Mental Health (Boogie for the Soul)

Ohhhhhh I love. This @Jynx 

Will have the music nice and loud tomorrow 

My awesome friend ❤️ 

@StuF , @greenpea , @Appleblossom 

Yessss love it @Shaz51 louder is better! Sometimes if the music is loud enough, it's louder than my thoughts, and means I get to just exist in the moment 😊💜

Very true 👍 @Jynx 😃

Mr shaz would totally agree with you my friend ❤️ 

Have the music 100% loud and soo awesome 

hey @Jynx

im not much of a dancer now hahah

i use to dance through primary school often competing, making up my dances and instead of walking it would be some kind of dance move lol

i use to do dance in high school as well for school subjects and took on teaching the younger kids to dance during my free periods if i wasnt studying and lined up with other student classes

i dont dance as much now though. i think the last time was probably at my school formals so several years ago!

@Shaz51 aww yeee nice one Mr Shaz! Hehe hope you two get a chance to have a good boogie together!

@outlander sounds like you've had quite the journey with dance! I imagine it's different to come at it from a competitive perspective. Having a routine you gotta learn, having pressure to remember all the steps, would be very intense, but very cool. Do you think you would dance differently if there's no routine, just the feeling? Would love to hear about it if you give it a go!

Ahhhh we do @Jynx. @outlander 

Can not wait for tomorrow afternoon to rock and roll xx 

Saturday to get my hair done 

Visit my mum in hospital 

And then on Sunday to go for a drive 

Considering I grew up dancing a lot and competing at a very high level, I never do it now @Jynx I used to even represent my state in it. I also used to teach it for about 15 years.

I can't remember the last time I danced, but it would have been lots of years ago. The last time I danced with someone would have probably been a friends wedding.

Perhaps dance is something myself and others can work into their safety plan. I am guessing it is like walking. Any movement is good for the mind and body.

A really interesting topic.

@Snowie wow that's amazing! But sad to me that you no longer do it - though I totally understand why. Like I said to @outlander coming at it from a competitive perspective would be soooo different. 

Yeah very good for mind, body, and soul! Adding it to my coping strategies was an excellent decision, highly recommend. I know at first, dancing by myself did feel pretty weird. It's like I felt awkward and nervous even though no one else was around! But I pushed through and made it into something that feels pretty special 😊💜

Wow! Incredible topic @Jynx !

This reminds me of only a few months ago when I had salsa dancing lessons. It was true that I was shocking at it and I looked like I was dancing with 2 left feet... but the feeling was amazing. 

Why? Because each step I took was so measured and had to be precise. The timing was essentially. By constantly having to keep to the beat and count of the steps, it acted as a mindfulness exercise rather than the dancing itself. I felt my mind so was much more focused and clear after each lesson.

Unfortunately, I don't go anymore, but maybe it's someone I can get started again soon.

Oh, and that's where I last danced with someone too - salsa dancing lessons. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance