Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Psychiatrist

I feel stuck my psychiatrist and I are not getting along and i dont know what to do he isnt really listening to me at all but i 1 cannot afford a new one and 2 there arent any others that have space in my area the next one is 3 hours away. I dont know what to do i have tried 3 times to talk to him but he isnt listening. i feel very stuck  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Psychiatrist

I feel like i should just quit everything i really dont know what to do. 

Sometimes if I think that is happening ... and it does not matter if it is a MH worker family or friend ...

I throw in a question .. go silent ... or try and elicit a response in another way.  You can also directly ask if you think their attention has strayed.  Dont take it personally, but value yourself as worthwhile and worth listening to and worth getting a decent response.

You can also keep it on a general level and ask him/her?? what his attitude to psychodynamic therapy is or ... enquire if he only believes in meds .. and if not which are preferred modalities. 

I think we need to keep them honest and not plan holidays while a person is baring their soul in their clinic.  It may be the best you can manage atm ... but as I used to work in tax office I see it as part of ensuring they dont waste tax payers money.  I think too many guilt tripped me about public health care and I decided to turn the tables.Smiley Happy

Maybe i just dont know how to approach it i have tried telling him that he is not understanding but he just says yeah sure and then ignore what i say again. like i need him to listen about the fact that he isnt listening also he missed a lot as i didnt see him for almost a year and in that year A LOT of stuff happened and i have tried to tell him what happened but he just isnt listening or understanding and i dont know how to get him to listen. 

Hi @Eden1919

KobeCat here, one of the night moderators.   

Sounds like alot is happening right now... Do you feel like a chat in email. 

Let me know what supports I can offer you 

Regards, 

KobeCat

@KobeCat that might be good. i just am really not sure what to do about all this. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance