Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday tonight at 7pm AEST / Psychosis

In terms of communicating and supporting a loved one experiencing psychosis, there is lots of advice in the literature which probably falls into the category of 'desirable but not always possible'.  I'd be happy to hear people's opinions on things such as:

- Try not to take the behaviours personally.  You might be on the receiving end of hostility, being ignored, trying to be co-opted into the delusion or even feeling at risk.  However, it's important to remind yourself that it's the illness and temporary.

- Try to remain calm yourself and keep the environment calm.  With psychosis there is a lot going on internally and external stimulation (lots of people around, loud TV etc) can lead to more confusion and compound disordered thinking.

- Reassure them that they are loved and not a burden.  That you are with them even if you don't share their views and beliefs right now.   

But above all, you are human and have reactions and feelings too.  It's not always possible to put them aside to be the carer you'd like to be.

My husband sometimes remembers things he has said or done. But he does not think they were delusions he thinks it was normal thinking.

Great advice Suzanne. Sometimes it gets frightening but I guess it's really scary for the person experiencing that episode too.

@Louise It sounds like your son is starting to recover which must be a huge relief.  Can you share a little bit about what it was like for you while he was in the psychotic episode? 

@soul wrote:

Great advice Suzanne. Sometimes it gets frightening but I guess it's really scary for the person experiencing that episode too.

Fear all round, without a doubt.  Which is why it's so critical for carer's to be tapping into their own support too.  Clients told me how important it is for them to have support outside of their circle of friends and family as they are sometimes too ashamed to share what's really going on.  They don't want people to judge their loved one.  So a referral from your GP to your own Psychologist if you're in a caring role is a very good idea.

@CherryBomb wrote:

Here's a question for everyone:

What can you do if the person you can for is unwell - experiencing psychosis  - but does not want to seek treatment or support?

That is not uncommon.  Within what we can clearly see to be a false belief, your loved one is 100% certain that they are seeing and acting on the truth.  And that everyone else has the problem in not seeing it that way.  What's critical here is risk.  Is there a good chance that your loved one could harm themselves or someone else as a result of the psychosis?  Because if so we have legislation in place that can ensure they are treated.  You can contact the police, present at your local emergency ward, or contact your local emergency mental health team with your concerns. 

It can seem like a big and frightening step to take though.  Has anyone had to do this?

@kenny66 @Louise @soul @Linmerc @Shadow and @suzanne

Any advice for carers on how to support their loved with finding the most appropriate combination of meds and treatment?

And what should carers do if the person they care for doesn't want to take their meds or seek help?

My flatmate easily identifieswhen I am beginning a psychotic episode. It is almost an instict with him.

He agrees and empathises with all the stuff I am going on about, along as there is no ganger in it, either to myself or anyone else.

He uses the tools provided to him by his own MH team in tent pegging reality. For example agreeing we are in a house (maybe we just agree it is a space but it has perameters)., is a tv real and recognisable, honing in on recognised familiar things that we agree are real.

Am I med compliant-recognising and not being in any critical of delsuion. Understanding what happens in a psychotic episode from first hand experience. Sometimes joining in the delusion and easing me out of it.

Wow @kenny66 your flatmate sounds so knowledgable and experienced.

I loved the examples of 'tent pegging reality' - so it's kind of like grounding you in your surroundings with things that you can agree on and/or going into to your delusion with you and then bring you back out of it with tent pegging? Have I understood it right?

I had a quite different experience with the police. Maybe its because I live in a small country town.

A neighbour rang them about my behaviour and they came down, checked I had taken my pills and then took me to the A and E.

They even put the siren on for me. I wasn't charge with anything except for behaving hilariously

kenny

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance