Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday tonight at 7pm AEST / Psychosis

Yes. I had to contact police when my husband was driving around our local streets like a lunatic with a bottle of bourbon. The police were very understanding and when he returned home they took him to hospital. He spoke to a psychiatrist at the hospital and was released. It was a scary experience - I never want to go through it again.

You've had better experiences than me. According to the police that we dealt with, they averted a murder / suicide. and the solicitor let that go to the magistrate. Hence we are appealing.

Re: Topic Tuesday - now open: Psychosis

Hi everyone, my step son has had a number of delusions. He becomes confused and believes in what ever enters his mind. He woke up on Anzac Day and thought my granddaughter was his. He then wanted to marry my daughter. I was fearful for my granddaughter and daughter so I had to ask them, my stepson and my partner to leave my house. As a consequence my partner is extremely angry and doesn't want anything to do with me. This is all heart breaking. I was just fearful of what my stepson would do next. Prior to this delusion he thought that God had spoken to him, and hopped up in church and gave a sermon.

@soul and @kenny66

I think people can have very different experiences with the police. I guess one thing to be mindful of is that sometimes, they don't have in-depth mental health training, which means they may not provide the best response. But  hopefully this changing with time. I do know that in some states they can do intial assessment to take people to hospital.

@soul wrote:
Don't contact the police.A well meaning neighbour did this and they arrested my partner. They laid charges against him against my wishes..

Yes @soul, probably not a bad idea if I re-ordered that list.  And also added a very important one for those who are already receiving treatment but whose symptoms are escalating - direct contact the treating Psychiatrist or Psychologist.  As carers you might think that everyone is too busy to talk to you but actually it's incredibly important that they do.  You play a key role in helping treatment compliance (taking meds as @kenny66 mentioned) and attending appointments. You also hold key information about what is happening at home.  It's vital that you set up communication with your loved ones mental health team.  You deserve time and explanations from team in order to best support them. 

Just looked at the time, EEEP! Time has flown by. We have 30 minutes to go!

so if you have any final questions now a good time to put them in.

I was wondering what carers can do to provide support to maintain wellness and prevent psychosis? Any ideas and suggestions?

Re: Topic Tuesday - now open: Psychosis

My partner won't let his son take medication.

Nothing, unless they are harming themselves or others. My partner won't let my step son take medication. He is totally against it. The son has had a number of delusions, and it is scary

Any dietary suggestions? Foods to avoid? Useful supplements? Exercise?

Yes yoour interpretation of tent pegging is right. My flatmate is very insightful into both his and my illness. We tend to be episodic at different times.

However I am less capable in dealing with his paranoid delusions because I tend to just agree that the object of the paranoia is real and on occassion I am just as committed to what he believes as he is.

Yes he can join in the delusion and becomes an active participant, sort of role playing I guess. He then does try and bring me out into reality either successfully or unsuccessfully.

We have a number of visual stimulants that hep me with this.

Kenny

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance